Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to re-hang a garden shed door?

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

How to re-hang a garden shed door?

Hello Everyone!, I have a steel garden shed, 6m X 3m. Today, the left opening door (when looking front on) was caught in strong wind and the door was almost ripped off its hinges of which there are 3 in total with each secured by 6 rivets - 3 into the door frame and 3 into the shed frame. I have an idea or 2 how to fix, however, I thought I'd see if the Workshop Universe could make any recommendations that I have not thought of. See 3 pictures below. Regards, Chris

Shed 3.jpgShed 2.jpgShed 1.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to re-hang a garden shed door?

Good morning Jess @jessle79 

Just some Sunday porridge thoughts.

Try a centre punch (seen below) to make a 'divot' for the drill tip.

Shorter drill bits. This Trojan riveter set came with the various sizes of bits for the most common rivets. Note the difference in length to the long cobalt - less likely to snap.

Some members in the past have recommended "step" drills for sheet metal - seen below looking like Christmas trees.

Your shed is mild steel sheeting - not aluminium - tougher than you think. 😐

20240818_082404.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

But if you don't want to drill anymore - can we reuse what holes you've already made?

What size drill and rivets are you using?

Good suggestion from @TedBear on the previous page. Incorporating small washers with yours rivets.

The theory is you have an oversized hole for the rivet...maybe what you're experiencing now?

Riveting from the hinge side into an oversized hole...

20240817_171329.jpg

A washer or too - and squeeze...

20240817_171448.jpg

Not easy and you'd need someone to help as this will be on the other side of where you're standing.

It also looks like you have room for small round headed bolts based on the frame?

Would that be easier for you?

Cheers - and keep us posted. 😁

jessle79
Getting Established

Ah thanks @Noyade I will add a punch to my list, I think this would solve a lot of my frustrations! Kinda glad to hear it’s not aluminium, makes me feel less useless 😂 enjoy your porridge. 

jessle79
Getting Established

Thank you 🙏 I actually used some washers yesterday! It was pretty hit and miss 😂 the original holes don’t look too bad really. I’m about to try and hang the second door. Hopefully it won’t take 4 hours like yesterday 🤞😂

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Good luck @jessle79,

Keep us in the loop if you run into any issues and don't forget to share your results.

I'm sure with your newly added experience, you will make light work of the second door.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @jessle79 

A center punch nails it :smile: and please let us know how it goes :smile:

Dave

jessle79
Getting Established

@JacobZ well it looks like my skills need some more improvement 😂 I did get the second door hung but it won’t swing as it’s hanging too close to the bottom, I did chock it up when I was re-hanging it but the slab isn’t flat so it ended up not being up high enough. I’m going to have to take both doors off and start again. Such a simple fix and yet it’s now going to end up taking the best of 3 weekends. 🤦‍♀️ frustrating because I’ll be buying a new shed soon but I figure it’s a good opportunity to learn more about working with steel which I’m obviously uncomfortable with 😂

I tried using both the screws and rivets. One side of the hinge could use the bolts for and then just got lazy and went back to the rivets. I must say the bolts are going to be a lot easier to remove now that I need to take the door off again!

here’s some pics of what it looked like 

IMG_1802.jpeg

IMG_1806.jpeg

IMG_1795.jpeg

IMG_1794.jpeg

jessle79
Getting Established

Thanks @Dave-1 I’m going to buy one this week 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @jessle79 

Just to let you know, I still have hassels with rivets lol Practice is what makes it easy and believe me the three weeks wont be wasted. You will always have the knowledge you have learnt! :smile: Then people will hit you up for your knowledge level! :smile:

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Nicely done @jessle79 ! 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects