Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to provide a base for corrugated iron walls?

RipVanCutter
Growing in Experience

How to provide a base for corrugated iron walls?

Hi Everyone!

I have a carport that has corrugated iron walls. The upper parts are fastened to the frame (no problem here) but the lower parts sit in simple thin powdercoated end cap channels (which are also fine) BUT...these channels are mounted on lengths of wood which is dynabolted to the concrete floor. The wood has rotted away in multiple areas. SO....does anyone have any other suggestions for securing the bottom of the corrugated sheets to the floor? I would ideally like a system that I can make waterproof. I will upload some pics when I get a chance.

THANKS ALL!!!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to provide a base for corrugated iron walls?

Hi @RipVanCutter,

Many thanks for your question.

Without seeing the specific problem, it is hard to say the best way to fix it.

How thick is the timber that has rotted away? You would need to replace the timber with something of a similar size so the height of the c channel isn't changed. 

You could simply replace the timber, using a similarly sized piece of H3 framing attached to the concrete with a suitably sized anchor such as Ramset 10 x 100mm Galvanised AnkaScrew Masonry Anchor.

You would need to use a moisture barrier such as Polythene Damp Course to prevent direct contact between the timber and concrete. This can be stapled to the bottom of the timber before it is anchored to the concrete.

Once in place, you could seal the bottom of the timber to the concrete, and the c channel to the top of the timber using Sika 11FC Plus to waterproof the repair.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any ideas @Noyade, @TedBear, @Jewelleryrescue.

Let me know if you need a hand uploading those images, they're going to be very handy in coming up with a solution.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects