Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to insulate walls and ceiling of Colorbond shed in a very humid and warm climate?

rudypauw
Just Starting Out

How to insulate walls and ceiling of Colorbond shed in a very humid and warm climate?

Hi Everybody, 

I am very new to this community and i hope that i can find my answer here.  Mould can be the issue if you do not insulate your shed very well.   We want to build a livable shed in Cape Tribulation and as you know it can be very wet in the wet season for months.  The best solution would be spray foam but we would like to keep the shouse we are going to live in toxic free.  So this is not an option.    So any ideas how to insulate this shed to avoid condensation between the insulation material and the shed roof/walls?  What insulation to  use.  We want to run an a/c so it need to be very well insulated.  Any suggestions?  Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to insulate walls and ceiling of Colorbond shed in a very humid and warm climate?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rudypauw. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about insulating a shed.

You're right that poor insulation can lead to serious issues with mould and condensation. However, before diving into the specifics of how to insulate your shed, it’s important to mention that turning a non-livable space into a livable one is governed by quite a few regulations in Australia, depending on your location. Insulation, ventilation, and moisture control are among the key factors addressed by these regulations.

For example, the Building Code of Australia (BCA) outlines standards on energy efficiency and moisture management, including the need for appropriate R-values for insulation in various climates. There may also be local council regulations on converting sheds into liveable spaces, which can include meeting certain thermal insulation, waterproofing, and ventilation standards.

Given these regulations and the specific conditions you're dealing with in Cape Tribulation, I’d strongly recommend enlisting the services of a professional. A local builder or energy consultant will not only help you determine the legal requirements in your area but also assist in mapping out the most effective way to insulate your shed to ensure it’s energy-efficient and free from condensation issues.

In terms of non-toxic insulation options, you might consider materials like wool or natural fibre batts, which are breathable and have natural moisture-wicking properties. Pairing these with a vapour barrier can help manage condensation between the Colorbond roof and the insulation material. Additionally, ensuring adequate ventilation and airflow in the space will also be key to managing the humidity.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects