Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build tote storage for garage?

dcjames55
Getting Established

How to build tote storage for garage?

I'm hoping to build a storage rack like the one below. Can anyone help me out with what wood to use.

Doesn't need to be pretty just want to use what will be the most economical option for the job

Screenshot 2024-07-19 120119.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build tote storage for garage?

Hi @dcjames55,

I'd suggest that using 42 x 42mm 5.4m Baluster Handrail H3 Pink Pine FJ Primed LOSP for the frame and 42 x 18mm 5.4m Moulding H3 Treated Pine FJ Primed 4 Edge Pencil Round LOSP for the rails would work well. Those timbers are reasonably budget-friendly. However, you could almost half the cost if you created the whole thing from 70 x 35mm Framing MGP10 H2 Blue Pine 5.4m.

I've created renderings of both versions below for your viewing pleasure.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

70x35mm.pngstorage.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi again @dcjames55,

I thought I'd also mention that you'll find our storage units very cost-effective. Something like the Pinnacle 1830 x 1200 x 410mm 5 Tier Shelving Unit might suit your needs add could end up costing less that one you build yourself from timber.

Mitchell

unit.jpeg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @dcjames55,

Just a quick question, what sort of load will these bins be carrying?

As in, what sort of things would you be looking to store in these bins?

What I'm thinking is the vertical load on the bins and the framing, if you're looking to store things like heavy power tools or the like, you probably should have some sort of support under the individual bins.

Just a thought.

If you need further advice, by all means let us know, we are more than willing to help out.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects