Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a granny flat or studio?

hma61122
Just Starting Out

How to build a granny flat or studio?

Anyone had or know about granny building permit WH council and install Quick build granny/ studio from Bunnings, please share experience,cost, reminder , thanks x10 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: granny or studio

Hi @hma61122,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

As each individual council area has different restrictions on the construction of granny flats and detached dwellings, the best place for you to start is by contacting your local council to discuss.

Once you have contacted them, I would suggest contacting a draftsman to assist with the design of the granny flat in line with your local council's regulations.

You might like to have a look at Top Granny Flat Planning And Design Ideas To Consider for some guidance and inspiration.

There are also a number of projects that our members have shared that you might like to look through:

Also, allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any experience with this kind of project, @Nailbag, @Jewelleryrescue, @Dave-1.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: granny or studio

Good Afternoon @hma61122 

I think it would be pretty nice to have a granny flat somewhere in the yard :smile:  So first question, Could we have a few photos of the overall area and in particular, trees, services  and slope of the land? 

These will all change what type of Granny flat size and aspect  it will be. A draftsman as @JacobZ has suggested would definently be able to help but to start with a few pictures or a sketch or two. Pathways, how to get to the door, where clothes will be hung to dry and privacy from over the fenceline are something to factor in.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects