Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to adjust Ryobi Grinder and sander belt going sideways?

Kvic
Having an Impact

How to adjust Ryobi Grinder and sander belt going sideways?

Bought a Ryobi 250w Bench grinder and sander.

Very little in the way of instructions and when I started the machine the belt went sideways and started to chew the belt up. No matter what I with the belt instructions the belt went off centre. Checked for more product information on Ryobi and just the same,  nothing on how to setup the belt.

Ryobi Grinder and sander.png

I want to return this and want something better and suggestions 

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: Ryobi Grinder and sander

Hi @Kvic, just be patient with this.

When using a brand new belt on a new tool like this, until the belt "wears" into the rollers, expect certain adjustment.

To be fair, the belt tensioning controls can be pretty finicky, a small amount of movement can give un-expected results.

This is also the case when you try to use it for what it was designed for, putting too much pressure on the belt can cause it to go all wonky

when things haven't quite settled down yet.

If you need further advice, by all means, let me know.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Nope I’m having the same problem ? I put the new belt on and now the tension is loose it’s newish and it’s the first belt since new? The only reason I had to buy a new one was because I ripped it trying to sharpen something. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @Dragzy68 

Here's my 5c thought after looking at the PDF on the Bunnings site.

Two knobs - A and B.

Take the starboard cover off.

Unlock A and pull the roller down against the spring (assumption).

Re-lock A.

This now allows you to fit the belt without fighting the spring/roller.

Fit the belt. Correct direction.

Release A.

The belt automatically tensions with the spring rebounding.

Now, the question is - do you re-tighten A - really tight? Or just enough for knob B to be able to adjust the tracking?

I think the latter.

Hard to tell from the instructions.

But based on you saying "the tension is loose" - is your spring not providing enough upward thrust?

2.PNG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Dragzy68. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about adjusting a sander.

Since installing the new belt, did you turn the knobs to adjust the tension? Have you confirmed that the belt is the correct length and size? 

I would think both A and B adjust tension. B is likely the major tension and A the minor and tracking. A governs the roller at the top and typically when un-tightened allows the roller to dip to the right. When tight it brings the roller perpendicular to the left of the machine. It's this dipping of the roller that causes the belt to track to the right or left.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects