Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Garage floor seal still leaking water from underneath the seal - why?

Andy85
Growing in Experience

Garage floor seal still leaking water from underneath the seal - why?

I have been battling (patiently with time) as rainy days have recently caused excess water seeping through my single-garage door (predominantly on side corners). So I have tried putting in the Garage Floor Seal with Premier Blue 5.2m Garage Floor Seal  and looked at numerous tutorials ensuring  I am using some sort of liquid nails (I am using "Poly 320g") and that I am gluing the concrete floor as correctly possible (zig zag followed by 2x straight line).

What made it difficult for me was the timing as well as not having enough time to have the concrete floor thoroughly dry (the only best opportunity was when it was slightly damp but nonetheless cleaned off excess dirt). Yesterday late morning (circa 11-12)~ being the only brief given periods of sunshine ~ was the only chance for me to effectively lay down the Door Seal. And glued it for good with the Poly 320g.

I ensured nonetheless that I have left these to dry for at least a day.I even left the garage door open whenever there is ample sunlight especially earlier today this afternoon (1st June).

But as I'm writing this as it's raining @ 11:PM ~ water still seeps in underneath. Why or how could this be happening? I was led to believe also that the poly adhesive I was using was supposed to be "Waterproof" but it's apparently not because it still somehow letting the water go through. But I did make sure at least several hours of effective sunlight and no rain has passed; until this midnight as I'm writing.

Clarity appreciated. I have wasted so much days off-work waiting at home, in between periods of rain and sunshine ~ for the right timing to get this job done. Yet in the end still still leaking and having spent $80+ odd dollars. Really not looking forward for a stressful sleep and be greeted with a flooded garage the next morning.

PS. Why is it that manufacturers these days lack so much direction and instruction on their products? The garage door seal just blatantly stated "Hint: use Liquid Nails Product". But which one? What type? what amount? So much is being omitted we had to somehow rely on unshared trial and errors.

PXL_20240601_151658863 still leaking 2.jpgBefore application.jpgStill leaking.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garage floor seal still leaking water from udnerneath the seal - why?

Hi @Andy85,

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry to hear that you are still experiencing water ingress after installing a garage floor seal.

I understand your frustration, as I've also dealt with water getting where it's not supposed to in my home and have spent many rainy nights with it in the back of my mind. 

Keeping out water can be a very difficult task that has no simple solution. No one product alone will solve all waterproofing issues, it is often a combination of things that will yield the best results.

What you've already done is a great start, and the construction adhesive you've used is the right product for the job, but it would be very difficult to create a watertight seal underneath the floor seal. For it to be waterproof beneath the seal, there would need to be a continuous bead, with no gaps and good adhesion to the concrete the entire length of the seal. Anywhere that air can get through, water can get through.

An additional layer of sealant will need to be applied on the leading edge of the seal to stop water from going beneath it. You should apply a bead of silicone sealant such as Sika 300ml Grey Sikaflex 11FC Plus Polyurethane Adhesive Sealant to this leading-edge and anywhere there is a crack that water can get into.

I have circled below in red where you should apply this sealant.

Ensure that the bead of silicone is unbroken from end to end and completely covers the gap.

While it is a different application, you might like to check out How To Apply Bathroom Sealant as an example of the process required to create a watertight bead of silicone. 

Let me know if you require any further clarification or advice, I am more than happy to help.

Jacob

Andy85
Growing in Experience

Hi @JacobZ thank you for acknowledging this.

Thank you for the idea of additionally caulking / sealing the edges from the outside. I was thinking of doing the same but due to the too-frequent rain(s) today it was practically impossible to get anything dry (or yet alone to sufficiently dry anything besides damp) to glue / adhere / caulk.

Earlier today to my surprise I was able to lift just the side corner to expose the adhesive still not somehow set! despite one and half days now that has passed, albeit, with raining passages in between one would have thought it'd be set by now, but hasn't.

I should note that elevation wise, my entire garage floor is dead straight, as I can confirm my car is perfectly stand still on neutral gear. But I do realize that the bricks immediately outside the garage is ever so slightly higher We're talking almost hair-height difference last time I looked close enough. But the gap where the soil is ~ is what I'd thought as deep enough to "catch" some water but it does appear to bulk up if the rain is strong/heavy. 

Appreciate the help nonetheless. Any other ideas are also welcome.

Andy85.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Andy85,

Sealing the edge of the floor seal with silicone will be the best way to stop water from getting underneath, but there may be measures you can take to prevent water from getting to the seal in the first place.

You may be able to redirect some of the water using channel drains or agi pipe

Would some photos from outside the garage be possible? This will help narrow down some other options that could help keep that pesky water out.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with.

Jacob

Andy85
Growing in Experience

hi Jacobz sorry for this late response, so these are additional photos as requested. This is how everything looks so far with the floor seal in place.

Thank you for the suggested ideas re: installing the additional drain, unfortunately this may involve quite a lot of work that which I may have to think over.

For privacy for location confidentiality sake I shall have to delete the "broader view" picture, just for temporary share purposes.. Regards, Andy.

The worst corner-1.jpgThe worst corner-2.jpgbroad view (temporary upload only)broad view (temporary upload only)PXL_20240603_082535865.jpgPXL_20240603_081131066 overall view.jpgPXL_20240603_081116079 left side.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Andy85 

Having read what's happened, I can only suggest the same thing that Jacob suggested and that is to use Sika 300ml Grey Sikaflex 11FC Plus Polyurethane Adhesive Sealant. The other proposed solutions will require you to remove your pavers in order to put in the drain channels. It's definitely something worth thinking about as it will involve a fair bit of disassembly. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @Nailbag and @Noyade for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @Andy85 

😕 Can feel and understand your frustration. Been there when Ive been trying to nut out an issue with water and know that lost feeling.

You are doing the right thing for sure, with the sicaflex one reason that it may not have set is the concrete wasnt totally dry. It may look dry but still retain some moisture. This would slow the process especially if the nights/days are cool.

I really think that a drain installed is a good way to go, It dosnt seem that there is a natural point the surface water can flow on your pavers and with your garage floor being even a whisker below their level, well water will be  water. The nice news for you tho is that row of pavers just outside your garage door with that extra sliver could be removed, you also have a stormwater downpipe right next to the door so it may be easy with some work to put in a Everhard 3m EasyDRAIN Compact Polymer Grate And Channel and feed it into your stormwater drain. That would potetentiallytake excess water away before the door seal has a chance to back up.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: Garage floor seal still leaking water from underneath the seal - why?

Hi @Andy85 I can't offer any additional info as I agree with everyones comments, and suggestions.

regards, Nailbag

Andy85
Growing in Experience

Hi there much apologies for reviving this thread.

So I have tried putting on a fresh new portion of the seal, re glue it with the poly adhesive and still somewhat not working.

somewhat at a loss on what else to do (besides using towels). But I'm thinking of getting a specific or wet only vacuum cleaner (is there such a product?) just to contain the situation. 

Any ideas? Thank you once again.

PXL_20240722_232400527.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Andy85,

Garage door seals are designed to stop small amounts of water that are splashed on the door from entering beneath it. They are not designed to stop water that is flowing towards the door. It appears that the grading of the pavers is allowing water to build up behind the door. You're going to need to invest in a more comprehensive solution than trying to seal the door itself. If the pavers are not graded away from the door, then at a minimum, a drainage channel should have been installed, which will capture the water. You're actually really lucky as there is a stormwater pipe right there for the channel to divert the water into. You could remove the pavers, dig the trench and install the channel yourself; you'd just need a plumber to connect the channel to the stormwater.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects