Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I fill this gap in the roof sheets?

Char1991
Getting Established

How can I fill this gap in the roof sheets?

20240726_081857.jpg

 Hey Team

I need to seal this gap in the roof sheets between this original shed and the added on bit. This was done by the old owners and we need to seal it to make it a usable space. I was thinking just expanding foam at least as a short term affordable option but interested to see if there's something better? 

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I fill this gap in the roof sheets?

Hello @Char1991 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about filling the gap on your roof.

I propose using a Brutus 50 x 75mm x 3.0m Jazz Building Moulding Flashing on the outside area of your roofing. Looking at your photo, it appears that the added section is slightly lower than the original roof line. This means that there is a little bit of space for you to attach the flashing on the steel frame. You can use Selleys 290ml Grey Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant in combination with blind rivets to waterproof the top section. The flat section can be attached to the secondary roof by using the Selleys storm again.

There is also the option of having the flashing custom made in galvanized steel. You can order this at the special orders desk and the team can quote you the cost of the flashing. One other material you can use is CAgroup 100mm x 10m Weatherproof Byute Flash Flashing Tape. This can be attached and moulded to the existing roof line creating a solid seal between the two roof structures. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @Char1991 

My first thought was the angled flashing that @EricL has mentioned. Does the gap leak water? Was zooming in on the photo and it has me wondering if both roofs are the same level?

If they are then I would use some flat sheet metal and slip it under the high side sheets and have the sheet overhang the low side roof, that way the water will flow between the two roofs. You would have to unscrew the bottom edge of the top sheet so the flat sheet can be slipped under. Ive just been looking for some tin strips/tin sheeting at bunnings but couldnt find anything. So fall back is a normal tin sheet cut into 30cm widths and just screwed under the top sheet as before.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Char1991 by coincidence I was working on a roof today that had a similar issue, just not with a gap. Both @Dave-1 & @EricL have already suggested flashing to cover the gap, which is exactly the right solution.

This can be ordered via a local plumbing supplies or via the special orders desk at Bunnings so, not off the shelf. The information you will nee to provide:

• Overall length/s (may require ore than one section)
  • Bend angle (transition between old to new roof)
  • Width with side of the angle. I would go 100mm new roof overlap and enough to go under the last row of screws on the old.
  • Color to match the new roof

Then take the last row off of the old roof, slip the flashing underneath and I would use new screws with new seals through the old holes.

Regards, Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-07-26 at 10.56.15 PM.png

Char1991
Getting Established

Thanks guys! You're correct in the left hand additional section being a lower roof and continues to slant lower to the left. Water does indeed leak so ill definitely look into the flashing to put an end to that! Thank you so much

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects