Workshop
Ask a question

How to fix discoloured brand new pavers?

lesleymkerr
Getting Established

How to fix discoloured brand new pavers?

Hi All

I just bought these and paid to have laid, what can be done about this discoloration so very dissappointed.Pavers new.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Brand New Pavers most are so discoloured

Hi @lesleymkerr,

I'm sorry to hear you are disappointed with the quality of your new pavers.

The discolouration is possibly from the pavers scraping across each other during transport. It may just be concrete dust, that can be removed by cleaning the pavers with a cleaning chemical and scrubbing brush.

You might like to start by using Chemtech Brick Tile And Paver Cleaner alongside an Oates Long Handle Deck Scrub Brush to try to remove the discolouration. Give them a good scrub and then hose them down to remove the cleaner and anything that comes free.

If you don't have any success with this method, you may need to use an abrasive such as these Flexovit Wet and Dry Sanding Sheet. Wet the pavers down and apply pressure in a circular motion. This should remove the very top layer of the pavers which will give the surface a more even finish.

Please be aware that you will be creating silica dust, so ensure the pavers are suitably wet down and wear a mask while sanding.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any thoughts, @Dave-1, @DIYGnome, @Noyade.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Thanks Jacob

I doubt that happened in transportation every single paver (21 of) looks like that. I will spend more money on the paver cleaner and see what happens.

It does not seem right that I should have to do this.

Regards

Lesley

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lesleymkerr,

My apologies, please know that I do trust your opinion that this is not the issue.

In my experience, these kinds of pavers are very easy to scratch when they are rubbed against each other, so this was my first thought. The method I've advised is what I would do if this was the case.

As you can touch and see the physical pavers, you're in a much better position than I am to rule things out. So with this in mind, I'll try to offer you further solutions.

Is it possible to get some more photos of the pavers from closer? Is the discolouration powdery? 

It's possible that this may be efflorescence, which is fairly common with concrete pavers. 

It occurs when water dissolves mineral salts within the concrete. It is then brought to the surface where the water will evaporate leaving the powdery salt residue on the surface of the paver.

Efflorescence can usually be cleaned using household vinegar, which may be the most cost-effective place to start.

If this is not a solution, we can't rule out an issue with the actual pavers.

Can you advise which specific paver you have purchased so I can investigate further?

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

HiJacob

Pavers are Adbri Masonry 600 x 400 x 40mm Prague Paver.

Pavers 2.jpgPavers 3.jpgPavers 4.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lesleymkerr,

From these new photos, I'm fairly certain that you are seeing a bad case of efflorescence. 

I've reached out via PM.

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @lesleymkerr 

😕 What a pain. It reminds me of tiles that have been left stacked in the rain for while. I am bowing to @JacobZ 's superior knowledge on this one as I have not come across this myself (yet) .

Dave

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lesleymkerr,

Just a quick note to say that I've reached out to the store manager at your local Bunnings store. They'll be in touch shortly to see how they can assist in resolving the situation.

Let us know how you go and if there's anything I can do to assist further.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects