Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Will Rustoleum Tub and Tile cover cracks in vanity bowl?

Dove
Community Newcomer

Will Rustoleum Tub and Tile cover cracks in vanity bowl?

I'm about to use Rustoleum Tub and Tile refinishing kit on my bathroom vanity.bowl.  The Bowl has some hairline cracks in it.  Do I need to seal these or would the Rustoleum fill and level these cracks out?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: bathroom Vanity

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Dove. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting a vanity bowl.

You might like to post an image of the cracks so our helpful members can better understand what you're working with. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

If the cracks are just minor crazing in the glaze, the Rustoleum Tub and Tile Refinishing Kit should cover them without any issues. However, if the cracks are large enough for water to seep through, the product might initially seep through as well until it fills the cracks. In that case, you may need to apply a couple of additional coats before the cracks are fully covered and no longer noticeable.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dove
Community Newcomer

Re: Will Rustoleum Tub and Tile cover cracks in vanity bowl?

Thank you for your advice.  Here ius a picture of the cracks in the vanity.

20241018_140424.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Dove 

Thanks for posting that photo of your vanity basin. If you run your finger over the crack and you can't feel the crack and it seems like it has formed under the ceramic glazing, then there is no need to use any form of filler. But if the cracks have affected the surface of the basin, then you'll need to apply several more coats to the affected area as Mitchell has mentioned. The crazing is still very fine and has not completely deteriorated the basin.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Dove
Community Newcomer

Hi Eric.  Thank you for your advice.  When I run my finger over the cracks I can feel them.  I aim to use 2 coats on the Bowl.  Instead of having to put extra coats on could I just fix the cracks with Gorilla glue prior to painting?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dove 

I suggest using Selleys 50g Knead It Aqua Epoxy Putty. Mix it very well in your hand and push it into the crack as far as possible and then feather the surface so that it is at the same level as the bowl. Make sure to give it enough time to cure before painting over the surface. It can be sanded down if you wish, but it's better to level it as flat as possible. 

However, if the crack is too shallow, I suggest using Gorilla 59ml Glue Bottle - 59ml. It's temperature tolerant and is waterproof.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Dove
Community Newcomer

Thank you Eric.  You have been a wonderful help.  I think I will go with the Gorilla 59ml glue bottle.  I guess I should just sand that down afterwards too.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dove 

Yes, you can sand it down so that it is at the same level as your basin. Please make sure to post a photo update. We look forward to seeing the results of the painting revamp.

Eric

Dove
Community Newcomer

Hi again Eric and thank you for your prompt responses.  I most certainly will post a photo of the end result to share  with you.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects