Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why does the bathroom have no hot water?

benpaul
Just Starting Out

Why does the bathroom have no hot water?

image.jpg

Hi community members,

my bathroom doesn’t have hot water since 2 days ago while the kitchen do have hot water. I Google the issue online and 2 possible culprits are anti scald device or mixing valve issue. Try to remove the head after unscrew from underneath the head but the head doesn’t come off. I don’t even know whether my tape have anti scald device install or not. Anyone can advice why there is no hot water in the bathroom while the kitchen do have. 
thanks

Regards

Paul

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why does the bathroom have no hot water?

Hello @benpaul 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your bathrooms hot water.

The shower mixer you've posted is known as a shower mixer with diverter. This is sometimes used in a shower over bath configuration, this type of shower mixer often requires high equal pressure to work correctly and if the hot water pressure is not strong enough the cold water will actually push the hot water back into the pipework.

I suggest doing this test to see if hot water is reaching your shower mixer. Turn on the shower mixer and twist it all the way to the hot position. Leave it on for about a minute, in that time you should be able to feel the hot water coming out of the shower head. If there is hot water slowly twist the handle slowly back to the middle position towards cold.

Two things will possibly happen, you will either find the sweet spot where the hot and cold mix perfectly together or the water will suddenly get cold, and you won't get hot water unless you twist all the way back to hot. This means that the shower mixer installed is incorrect and you'll need to replace it.

Please try this method first and tell me if you get the results I mentioned.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
benpaul
Just Starting Out

Hi EricL

thanks for the response. There is totally no hot water when shower mixer turn to the most right. When I slowly turn to the left there is no change in the water temperature. For your information the shower mixer is more than 10 years old. If the shower need to be replaced can it be done by myself using DIY? Can I get the same  parts from Bunning? 

thanks

regards

Paul

regards

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd recommend you have a plumber come out and take a look at the issue @benpaul. If the mixer needs to be replaced, there might not be a direct swap available. The plumber will also be able to diagnose if there's another issue going on.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects