Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which type of basecoat and angle for Villaboard in wet area

MichaelaG
Finding My Feet

Which type of basecoat and angle for Villaboard in wet area

Hi everyone, 

This is my first post. 

I am about to start a bathroom renovation where I am striping out everything except the ceiling and bathtub. The house is brick veneer construction on concrete slab. 

I have watched the Bunnings video about how to install and stop up Villaboard in a bathroom and also read the James Hardie VIllaboard installation guides. There seems to be conflicting info on the type of base coat to use. I am pretty sure the ceiling is plasterboard.

The Bunnings video shows Gyprock Base Coat 45, the OEM documentation says to use the James Hardie Base Coat which is more flexible and suited to wet areas. 

I am tiling most of the walls however there will be some areas near the ceiling and at the wall to ceiling junction which will just be painted. I am also planning on doing a square set ceiling/wall junction (i.e. no cornice/architrave). 

I am hoping you can answer the following questions:

1. What base coat do I use on the walls (Villaboard)?

2. What base coat do I use at the ceiling/wall junction where villaboard meets plaster board?

3. What size and thickness aluminium angle do I use in the internal corners to install the Villaboard to the timber stud frame? James Hardie recommend 35 x 35 x 0.8 mm non ferrous angle, however I cannot see any products that are this thin in stock. 

Thank you very much for your assistance. 

Michaela

Re: Which type of basecoat and angle for Villaboard in wet area

Hi Mitchell

i'm in the same situation. the aluminium angles are a bit expensive. can i use pvc as an alternative? if so which one would you recommend?

thanks

steve

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which type of basecoat and angle for Villaboard in wet area

Hi @saleens281.

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, I can't advise you to use a PVC angle as an alternative as the reduction in strength will allow for movement and cracking in the waterproof membrane.

For the installation to be warrantable by James Hardie, it is necessary to follow the Wet Area Construction Application Guide closely and use all their recommended products.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects