Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which cleaning products for cleaning grout around household?

MaxB
Getting Established

Which cleaning products for cleaning grout around household?

Have purchased 

Long Life 750ml Grout Cleaner 

Long Life 750ml Grout Cleaner - Bunnings Australia

and  

CLR 750ml Bathroom And Kitchen Cleaner

CLR 750ml Bathroom And Kitchen Cleaner - Bunnings Australia

CLR says on packaging Tiles and Grout (Uncoloured) and Long Life grout cleaner I can't find any mention if safe to use on coloured grout.

So how do I determine if my grout is coloured or not. Assuming Kitchen Tiles and Outdoor Tiles are coloured but unsure if shower tiles are coloured or not?

So based on photos attached are able to advise where I can or cannot use CLR and Long Life products based on my tiles and grout please?

ShowerShowerOutsideOutsideKitchenKitchen

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which cleaning products for cleaning grout around household

Hi @MaxB,

The shower grout appears quite white and would be considered non-coloured. However it's always best to do a test section in an inconspicuous location before committing to the whole area. Outside and kitchen are coloured grouts and likely to be discoloured by the CLR and Long Life products as they have a brightener in them to whiten grout. When applied to a coloured darker grout they could make it go a lighter shade. 

Your best bet for the darker grouts is to coat them with a grout sealer so they don't require cleaning.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MaxB
Getting Established

Thanks for assistance Mitchell. Much appreciated.

I did apply Dunlop 250ml Grout Sealer - Bunnings Australia few months ago in shower but yet to seal kitchen or exterior grout.

What would be the best cleaning product to give the coloured grout a good clean prior to applying the sealer?

Thanks

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MaxB,

I'd suggest using Long Life 750ml Grout Cleaner alongside an Oates Soft Grip Grout Brush to get the grout looking perfect.

Ensure you wear gloves and long work clothes to mitigate the risk of skin irritation from this product.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

MaxB
Getting Established

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for assistance.

I'm a little confused as MitchellMC in previous reply said "Outside and kitchen are coloured grouts and likely to be discoloured by the CLR and Long Life products as they have a brightener in them to whiten grout. When applied to a coloured darker grout they could make it go a lighter shade."

So based on MitchellMC's advise should not use Long Life Grout Cleaner as they have brightener in them that can lighten colour of grout?

Any other cleaning products that are safe to use on coloured grout?

Thanks

Mike

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MaxB,

My apologies, I missed that.

The Betta Tilecare 750ml Tile & Grout Cleaner does not mention having a whitener or being unsuitable for coloured grout so it should be a good option for the coloured grout.

I would still suggest applying it to an inconspicuous test area before committing to the full job.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

MaxB
Getting Established

Thanks Jacob

Much appreciated :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects