Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where to position a linear shower drain?

Flash66
Growing in Experience

Where to position a linear shower drain?

I am renovating a bathroom and looking at installing a glass shower screen and linear drain.

The floor is concrete slab and i can screed the floor.

I am looking to install a trim and screed the shower floor 45mm raised above the room floor.

The vanity will be installed on the lower level

What is the best option for fitting a linear drain

(A) Fit the linear drain alongside the window wall with concrete cut to allow concealed pipe to drain

(B) Fit the linear drain alongside the opening and glass screen side of the shower with concrete cut to allow concealed pipe to drain

(C) Fit the linear drain below the shower head and cut a concealed channel to the main drain hole and tile over the top.

(D) Fit the linear drain opposite the shower head near the shower entrance.1.jpgIMG20240814133038.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Where to Position a linear shower drain

Hello @Flash66 

What an interesting question with so many variables worth considering. I believe our members will be chiming in regards to where that linear drain should be positioned.

I'm putting my vote to position "C" as it is the traditional spot for linear wastes which is right above the shower head. This means that the fall will be going towards the sealed end of your shower which will reduce the possibility of the water flowing out of the open end of your walk-in shower.  

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @Nailbag, @TedBear, @JoeAzza, @diy_hausdesigns and @redbournreno for their opinion regarding the linear waste.    

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Flash66
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric, I agree, and ideal if the main drain was at that end of the shower, and not on a concrete slab. I can position there but would have to cut a channel into the concrete and conceal a pipe to connect to the main drain at the other end of the shower so wanted to see if the other options were viable, I do agree with you that it would be the ideal. 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @Flash66  :smile:

Ahhh now I will throw a spanner in the works and say I like option A, For some reason having the linear drain at the back of the shower area makes more sense. Fitting it to the main drain tho may be a bit of a hassel. :smile: Worth it if it can be done.

Standing looking at the area with the drain against the wall is what I am picturing.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Flash66 definitely position C. As per the same reasons as @EricL, for both functionality and efficiency of drainage, the waste should always be at the furthest point from the shower entry point and closest to being under the shower head.

Just a side note, I noticed you have a new sliding window within the shower. This might cause an issue with water pooling within the sliding framework from water splashes. And if not already, you will also need to ensure its reveal is well protected as it will have the potential to very quickly rot.

Regards, Nailbag

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Flash66 

I agree that cutting the concrete floor in order to link to the plumbing waste pipe is the laborious part of having the linear drain at the end of the shower. But as I mentioned it will prevent water from pooling towards the entrance of your walk-in shower.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Flash66
Growing in Experience

Thank you for all your replies, It looks like i will go option C 

I will cut a channel and purchase a linear drain to suit. The question I have now is now is what fittings I have to connect at each end of the pipe for drainage and to stop smells etc.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Flash66,

Option C looks like a good plan.

If installed with the intention of being utilised by a shower, your floor waste should already have a trap, so smells should already be handled.

The problem of what fittings to use would be relative to the linear drain you are using and the size of the waste pipe, so it is difficult to say, but you would likely need to add a t-fitting to the floor waste to allow entry from the linear drain.

If you have any troubles, I'd suggest contacting a plumber as they will have the knowledge of local building codes to ensure everything is done to a professional standard.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Flash66
Growing in Experience

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for the reply, I will cut the floor and then the plumber will hook up as he is already engaged to do the final fit out. It's been an interesting dilemma as even a couple of plumbers had differing views between C, D and A 

I will update with pictures once completed.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Flash66,

Fantastic, I look forward to seeing the final result.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects