Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What protective non-sticky coat can we use over exterior paint?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

What protective non-sticky coat can we use over exterior paint?

20240829_203259.jpg

20240912_102957.jpg

20240918_175422.jpg

Hi Brain Trust

We used WeatherShield Low Sheen Black to paint 1) our kitchen cabinet door and 2) basin top. It’s not the best choice since it’s meant for exterior application.

What protective coat can we apply afterward that won’t be sticky, is resistant to grime and dirt, and is suitable for kitchen and bathroom (esp the basin top)?

Are there any highly-rated products we can buy from Bunnings?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Protective Non-sticky Coat

Hi @ivanptr,

I'm so sorry, but unfortunately, you are now in a tricky spot with the Weathershield applied to your kitchen cabinets and basin top. Since Weathershield is a soft paint designed for exterior surfaces and isn’t formulated for cabinetry or high-use surfaces like a basin top, applying a topcoat could lead to further complications. Any clear topcoat you attempt to use is likely to cause issues such as delamination or peeling due to the paint not being suitable for laminate surfaces. I am unaware of any suitable clearcoat that could go over Weathershield.

To address the situation, you’ll need to strip the Weathershield paint off completely and start over with a more appropriate system. For interior laminate cabinetry, I recommend using the Dulux Renovation Range, which is a hard two-part paint specifically designed for surfaces like cabinetry and bathroom basin tops. This system includes a laminate primer and a clearcoat for benchtops to ensure proper adhesion and durability. This hard clearcoat is only designed to go over hard two-part laminate paints and not your soft Weathershield.

Once the Weathershield paint has been removed, sand and clean the surface to ensure proper adhesion. Apply a laminate primer. Finish with the Dulux Renovation range topcoat, which is robust, easy to clean, and suitable for high-use areas like kitchens and bathrooms.

Given the amount of work it will take to remove the paint, you could leave it as is and see how it goes. However, once it gets a knock, I believe the coating will start to peel.

I understand this isn't what anyone would like to hear.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects