Workshop
Ask a question

How to fix water hammer noise with dishwasher?

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

How to fix water hammer noise with dishwasher?

Hello ,

Our dishwasher causes noise in the water pipes when it's finished filling water. The noise actually sounds to come from a different wall across the house (not from the kitchen ! ) . The washing machine does similar noise , though not as strong as the dishwasher. The toilet flush box used to cause similar noise , however , closing the stop tap half-way seemed to fix the noise with the toilet flush. The basin taps don't cause any noise.

I installed DoustStop Anti Hammer Valve on the dishwasher water inlet, although it didn't change the noise at all.

I followed the trapped-air-drain procedure suggested by Bob in an earlier topic , yet that didn't help either.

I am unable to check the entire roof for poorly-secured copper pipes (because of areas hard to reach) , although the noise sounds to be in a wall (not from the roof).

Any suggestions on how to tackle the problem ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Water hammer noise with dishwasher

Hi @Former Workshop member,

Water hammer is a phenomenon where shock waves travel through your plumbing system when water flow is suddenly stopped or changed. This can cause loud banging noises and vibrations in different parts of your house. These shock waves are likely running back up the pipes and causing noise in areas away from the original source.

To minimise water hammer, you might need several anti-hammer devices installed at different points in your plumbing system. These devices, essentially springs in a tube, help absorb the shock waves and reduce the noise. The anti-hammer valve you've installed is not the same kind of device and is likely not capable of resolving the issue.

A plumber is best able to determine the placement of these hammer-arresting devices. They'll examine your plumbing and determine the best place for them that requires the least amount of property repair after their installation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply @MitchellMc  , I have seen the products you recommended  and I am thinking of getting two  sioux chief arrestor  (one at dishwasher and another at Washing Machine) ? Would you recommend that  ?

Also, since that is a special order , am I able to return it back to the local store if it doesn't solve the hammer problem  ?

I would encourage you to discuss the issue with a plumber, who will be required by law to install the devices @Former Workshop member. Solving water hammer can be a difficult task and is seldom as easy as screwing on a hammer arrestor right before the offending device.

Regarding returning Special Order items, it would be best to discuss that with our experts in-store, as they'll be able to phone the supplier before placing your order and determine whether returning the item is an option. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects