Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to I remove the protruding tap fittings?

mikeyo
Getting Established

How to I remove the protruding tap fittings?

Getting the nozzle off was easy, but this remaining fitting I assumed I could use the multigrips and rotate anti-clockwise, but it appears to be very tight and I don't want to do any damage to the plumbing.

If it helps to know, the fittings are about 13 years old, located in Perth, Western Australia.

Once taps and nozzle fittings are removed, do I just terminate the water supply with these threaded hex plugs? https://www.bunnings.com.au/brasshards-15mm-brass-threaded-hex-plug_p0262231plumbing.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to I remove the protruding tap fittings?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mikeyo. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing tap fittings.

You've removed the tap fitting now, and what you are left with is part of your plumbing work. It is likely a braised fitting connected directly to the pipework or a compression elbow. These can't be removed unless you take the tiles and wallboard away to gain access.

What's the end goal here? Are you removing the tap fittings, and will you retile the area later? If so, you can cap off the fitting as is with a Brasshards 15mm Brass Threaded Cap.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mikeyo
Getting Established

Thanks, thats excellent advice. The goal is to remove the bathtub (no longer needed) and that fitting appears to be in the way. But I might be able to wiggle around it.

I'm guessing the taps won't be a problem to remove though? I recently replaced the shower tap assembly and they were all to be fully unscrewed.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The taps shouldn't be an issue when removing @mikeyo. However, you'll find that where the spindle inserts into the tap breech, it might be quite recessed within the wall. This could cause an issue trying to screw in your cap as the tiles will prevent you from using a tool. A Kinetic Breech Plug And Cap can be used temporarily, but if you are looking to permanently cap off these pipes a plumber is required.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mikeyo
Getting Established

Props for that.

Yes I just realised that even when I removed the taps and terminated the exposed tap handle pipes with the threaded hex plugs, it won't stop the water flow from the centre tap anyway. At least it was a cheap lesson learned.

It seems odd there isn't an off-the-shelf solution to this. Removing tap assemblies is easy, and I'm sure there are enough people who do it with the intention of never using them again.

I'll come back to this later. Thanks for all your help.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects