Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tiles needed for laundry & renovating shower

Newbie321
Getting Established

Tiles needed for laundry & renovating shower

IMG_6879.jpeg

IMG_6879.jpeg

Hi, total beginner here! What kind of tiles should I get for a laundry area please? There are so many types and I need to be educated! 

I’m replacing my old laundry cabinet so all the tiles have gotta go but they are old so I probably won’t find matching ones. What would you recommend? The entire bathroom has similar tiles too. Perhaps something that matches the wall paint? 

2nd question:  

A previous plumber put a hole in my bathroom after fixing a pipe leak from the other side of the wall and did a runner. So I was left with hole which I patched up with sealant. Any suggestions to fix this? Someone suggested glueing a white shower sheeting (not sure what it’s called) over the current tiles and waterproofing it.  Would you recommend it? I can’t afford a full retiling of the bathroom so a budget-friendly reno idea will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance! 

IMG_2391.jpeg

IMG_2390.jpeg

IMG_2429.jpeg

IMG_2430.jpeg

PlumbMaster-Zee
Building a Reputation

Re: Tiles needed for laundry & renovating shower

Hi Newbie321,

For the laundry area, considering durability, water resistance, and aesthetics are key. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Porcelain Tiles: These are highly durable, water-resistant, and come in various styles and colors. They are perfect for high-traffic areas like laundry rooms.
2. Ceramic Tiles: Another good option, ceramic tiles are slightly less durable than porcelain but are still a great choice for laundry rooms. They also come in a wide range of designs.
3. Vinyl Tiles: If you're looking for a more budget-friendly option, vinyl tiles can mimic the look of ceramic or porcelain while being easier to install and maintain.
4. Natural Stone Tiles: If you want a more upscale look, natural stone tiles like slate or marble can add a touch of elegance to your laundry room. However, they are more expensive and require more maintenance.

Since you mentioned the entire bathroom has similar tiles and you're considering something that matches the wall paint, here are a couple of ideas:
- Neutral Colors: If your wall paint is a neutral color, choosing tiles in shades of beige, gray, or white can create a cohesive look.
- Contrasting Colors: For a more vibrant look, choose tiles in contrasting colors that complement the wall paint.

Fixing the Bathroom Wall

For fixing the hole left by the previous plumber:
1. Tile Patch: You can use a tile patch to cover the hole. If you can find a tile that matches the existing ones, this will be the least noticeable fix.
2. Shower Sheeting: Using a white shower sheeting (often called waterproof wall panels or PVC panels) can be a good idea. These are glued over the existing tiles and are waterproof, which makes them suitable for bathrooms.
3. Waterproof Sealant: Since you mentioned the hole is patched with sealant, ensure it’s a high-quality waterproof sealant to prevent any leaks.

Budget-Friendly Renovation Tips

1. Peel-and-Stick Tiles: These are easy to apply and can be placed directly over existing tiles. They come in various designs and are a cost-effective solution.
2. Tile Paint: If the tiles are structurally sound but just old or discolored, consider using tile paint. This can give your tiles a new look without the need for a complete replacement.
3. Regrouting: Sometimes, simply regrouting the tiles can make a significant difference in the overall appearance of your bathroom.

Visit Bunnings and their subsidiary Beaumont Tiles to get a wider variety and some technical information on the latest trends available in the market. My advice is to keep it classic (neutral yet classy) and timeless. You’ll thank me in your future valuations.

Goodluck,

Zee

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tiles needed for laundry & renovating shower

Hello @Newbie321 

Thanks for sharing your question about tiles. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @PlumbMaster-Zee. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend having a good look at the label of the box of the tile. It will often indicate if it is for floor or wall use and it will also let you know if it is for indoor or outdoor use.   

In regards to colour, this is a matter of personal choice, but I would advise getting one that has a neutral colour. In this manner it will blend in with the wall colours of your wall. The other option of course is to paint your wall with a colour that will complement the colour of your tile.  

At this point in time, I propose holding off in purchasing any bathroom materials. If you are planning on a bathroom renovation sometime in the future, I suggest gathering your funds first rather than doing a piecemeal update. When you are ready, you can do a onetime update that will give your laundry and bathroom a fantastic new look.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects