Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

The extender we bought for our bath taps is to big and wont screw in

nicholeh101
Just Starting Out

The extender we bought for our bath taps is to big and wont screw in

IMG_4034.jpg

We purchase a 15mm brass extender for our tapware and while the length was fine, we are unable to screw it in as it was to big.  Can you purchase smaller extenders or is there another solution

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: The extender we bought for our bath taps is to big and wont screw in

Hi @nicholeh101,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

It looks like you've successfully installed a Kinetic 15mm Wall Tap Spindle Extender and the issue is that the tap flange is not able to screw into it. Is that correct?

If so, can you advise what the internal diameter of the thread in the tap flange is?

It may be possible to use a brass adaptor such as this Brasshards 20 x 15mm Brass Threaded Hex Reducing Bush or Brasshards 15mm Brass Male / Female Threaded Adaptor to either reduce or increase the size of the thread to accommodate.

I am not 100% certain of this fix, so any additional details you could provide would certainly help.

Allow me to tag some of our knowledgeable members to see if they have any other solutions, @Noyade, @Nailbag, @Dave-1.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @nicholeh101 

I havnt had a lot of experience with tap extenders so I think I will watch and learn a bit. It makes sense what you are trying to do. Tho like @JacobZ I am a little unsure if you are asking about the shiny metal bit next to the extender not being able to be attached? Or its the center spindal that isnt able to be attached?

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @nicholeh101 It appears that though you have extended the external thread with the extender, the internal tape spindle is well inside. The shortest one available is 15mm.

But failing that you could consider replacing the spindle with a longer deep seated version which might solve the problem. These are available in few different finishes. Though having said that, there may then be an issue with the actual tap handle fitment, which would mean making a change.

Regards, Nailbag

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nicholeh101,

There are a few of issues going on here, the first is that your spindle is exceptionally short. Are you using a wall set or basin set? Wall sets have longer spindles which you can then adapt with a spindle extender if needed. The second issue, is the threaded extender you've used appears to be for pipework, not to extend a spindle as per the link I've shared above. The last issue, is that is just about the tallest cover plate I've ever seen. So, hopefully, once you've got yourself longer spindles as per @Nailbag's advice and you've used a spindle extender if needed, that should put you in a much closer realm to getting the coverplate/dome to fit.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects