Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I replace the bathroom vanity before painting tiles?

EmiJ
Finding My Feet

Should I replace the bathroom vanity before painting tiles?

IMG_0999.jpeg

Hello,

I’m looking to freshen up my bathroom tiles with the Dulux Renovation range but I also really want to change my vanity and mirror at the same time.

The tiles are from floor to ceiling so I’m wondering if I would I be best off removing the old vanity and mirror first. Paint and then install new ones in?

My only hesitation with this is that the mirror is screwed in so if I remove it, could I fill the holes and then paint?

Should I also make sure there are no gaps in the grout before painting the tiles?

Any advice would be appreciated!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Should I replace the bathroom vanity before painting tiles?

Hello @EmiJ 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your bathroom revamp.

I agree with your proposed sequence of events. Removing the mirror and vanity means that no section will be left unpainted or painted ungainly due to the mirror and vanity. Covering the grout gaps and holes in the tiles is best done before painting the tiles. I suggest using Dunlop 800g Ready-To-Go Coloured Grout to cover any gaps in the grout. For the holes in the tiles, I propose using PC-11 56g White Epoxy Paste, mix only what you need and feather the edges so that you won't have to sand off a great deal of putty.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EmiJ
Finding My Feet

Re: Should I replace the bathroom vanity before painting tiles?

Thank you @EricL for the helpful suggestions! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects