Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Problem installing mixer tap - sink hole is too large?

slayton
Finding My Feet

Problem installing mixer tap - sink hole is too large?

Hi, I'm attempting to install a new mixer tap on our laundry  tub, but the hole in the sink is slightly too big.  The base of the mixer can sit over the hole (just), however the o'ring part falls right through and doesn't form any seal.  Is there any way I can still make this work?

mixer.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Problem installing mixer tap - sink hole is too large?

Hello @slayton

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about installing a mixer tap in your laundry tub.

The holes cut out for the laundry tub plumbing are often 42mm which is a tad larger than the 40mm base of the kitchen mixers. I recommend having a look at the Kinetic 32mm Hole DWV Stainless Steel Flat Cover Plate which has an opening size of 32mm but the outer diameter of the flange itself is 95mm and will have to be cut down with tin snips in order for it to fit properly. 

However, there are other flanges and cover plates available at the store and it's just a matter of finding the right size. I propose bringing your kitchen mixer to the store and testing the flanges out to make sure they fit. Unfortunately, there are no made-to-measure flanges for these circumstances. I'll be passing by the store tomorrow and will be having a look as well.

If have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks very much for your advice @EricL!  I'll give the cover plates a try.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, @slayton and please reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Clark make and adapter. By-pass tap hole conversion seal for 41mm holes. I note everhard uses 42mm holes so it will depend on what you have. 

https://www.clark.com.au/products/laundry/other-%28category%29/by-pass-tap-hole-conversion-seal

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Gavin3500 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

Thank you very much for recommending the by-pass tap hole conversion seal. Let me tag @slayton to make them aware of your suggestion.

We're keen to hear more about all your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please feel free to reach out whenever you need assistance or would like to share a project with the community.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @slayton 

There was an excellent suggestion made by @Gavin3500 regarding a by-pass tap hole conversion seal. By-Pass Tap Hole Conversion Seal | CLARK. Please note that this product is a special-order item and is not regularly stocked. If you wish to get one, I recommend visiting your local store and speaking to the special orders team and asking them to order one for you.   

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects