Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

No hot water coming out of shower but hot water coming out everywhere else

xdannygeee
Growing in Experience

No hot water coming out of shower but hot water coming out everywhere else

1000056896.jpg

1000056895.jpg

1000056900.jpg

  

Hi everyone, getting kind of desperate for help. My hot water suddenly stopped working yesterday without warning, I've tried finding online resources for help regarding this but they're all thermostatic showers whereas my shower is manual. 

My current line of thinking is that this is a problem with the shower cartridge (although I'm not sure if that exists in manual showers like this one). I want to remove the hot water "screw" but I'm having trouble with it. 

Two questions:

1. How do I remove the black plastic attachment off the shower faucet? It's stopping me from disassembling it. There's also a nut which the plastic attaches to but it's too deep to go in with a monkey wrench or pliers.

2. Is there a cartridge I can remove with this type of shower, and if there is, will it fix the hot water problem?

PlumbMaster-Zee
Building a Reputation

Re: No hot water coming out of shower but hot water coming out everywhere else

Hi xdannygee

1. How do I remove the black plastic attachment off the shower faucet?

- Identify Screws or Clips: Look for any visible screws or clips holding the plastic attachment in place. These could be hidden under decorative caps, which can often be pried off with a flathead screwdriver.

- Use a Deep Socket Wrench: Since the nut is too deep for a monkey wrench or pliers, you might need a deep socket wrench that can reach it. This type of wrench is designed to access nuts in tight spaces.

- Loosening the Nut: Once you have the appropriate tool, carefully loosen the nut. Be gentle to avoid damaging the threads.

- Pry Off the Attachment: Once the nut is loose, gently pry off the black plastic attachment. If it's stubborn, you can use a small flathead screwdriver to help pry it off, being careful not to damage the surrounding parts.

2. Is there a cartridge I can remove with this type of shower, and if there is, will it fix the hot water problem?

- Spindle System: Since your shower uses an old spindle system, there is no cartridge. Instead, the issue might be with the spindle itself or the valve seats.

- Inspect the Spindle: After removing the handle and the black plastic attachment, check the spindle for wear, corrosion, or damage. Sometimes, the washer at the end of the spindle is worn out, which can prevent proper control of hot water.

- Valve Seat Inspection: Inspect the valve seat inside the valve body. If it's damaged or corroded, it can block hot water flow. You might need a valve seat wrench to remove and replace it, or a valve seat grinder tool to smooth out any imperfections.

If these steps don’t solve the problem, it might be best to consult a professional plumber for a more detailed diagnosis.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Thank you so much for your insight Zee, given your info I might just go ahead and call a professional. Really appreciate the time you took with writing such a comprehensive message - have a great day. :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @xdannygeee 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks of sharing your questions about your shower spindle.

It's fantastic that you've received excellent suggestions from @PlumbMaster-Zee. Just to add to the recommendations made, I suggest using Magnet Multi Fit Tap Spanner Set. It's been specifically designed to remove spindles and extensions in your wall. I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to replace old spindle tap? by @tony89.

The black plastic that is attached to the front of your spindle is called a Kinetic 15mm PVC Spindle Bonnet Extender. It's often used when the spindle is too deep in the wall and there are no more threads to screw the cover flange on. Once you have the plastic removed you can use the same tool on the spindle. 

Please note that they are slot type socket systems so you can use the long body of the set to clamp on the socket you are using. Please remember to turn your mains water system off and to depressurize your plumbing before you try to remove the spindle.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to replace a tap washer (some of the steps used are applicable to your repair work)

However, if the spindle proves to be too difficult to remove, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @PlumbMaster-Zee 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us.

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and experience with our members. We're keen to hear more about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please feel free to reach out whenever you need assistance or would like to share a project with the community.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Eric

xdannygeee
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the response @EricL :smile:

I just wanted to ask - will the tap spanner set also help to remove the spindle bonnet extender? Or do I need a different tool for that? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @xdannygeee 

You can use the same tool for the bonnet extender. Just test which sleeve will fit best before using the body extender to turn the sleeve.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

xdannygeee
Growing in Experience

Hi @EricL and @PlumbMaster-Zee

I managed to successfully remove the spindle, thanks to the suggestion of purchasing a tap spanner set at Bunnings. Upon inspection, it seems like the spindle and tap valve seems fine, but I'd like a second opinion if that's okay. If there's anything I should look out for, please let me know.

1000056987.jpg

1000056986.jpg

1000056985.jpg

And here's a picture of the valve itself (apologies it looks gross).

1000056983.jpg

Could I have someone review over this and give me their thoughts? Thanks in advance!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @xdannygeee 

Good work in getting the spindle out! But it appears that part of the jumper valve has been left inside the spindle body. I suggest using a Stanley 4 x 100mm Standard Tip Essentials Screwdriver or similar to lift the left-over rubber that is stuck inside the body of the spindle.

Once the rubber is out, can you please post another photo of the inside of the body so that we can see if the spindle seat has been damaged. If it has, I recommend engaging the services of a licensed plumber to re-seat your spindle to correct the damage.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

xdannygeee
Growing in Experience

Thanks @EricL, really appreciate your responses. I just put the spindle back in place and turned on the main, so I'll take a better photo tomorrow. If it turns out that the spindle seat is damaged, would it be possible to get the entire spindle replaced as opposed to hiring a plumber to re-seat the spindle? Or would it be heavily recommended to get the help of a plumber?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects