Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry reno - How to redesign to accomodate a folding bench?

DanaS
Getting Established

Laundry reno - How to redesign to accomodate a folding bench?

Hi all,

Long time DIY'er, first time poster.

I've hit a bit of a snare in my rework.

I've been renovating my house to be more mobility friendly as i spend half my life in a wheelchair now.

So I need my folding bench back so I can do my own laundry at least.

So the problem is the dryer needs to move.

The 2 options we can see are taking out the cupboard hob and putting it next to the washer or option 2.

Take out the sliding door rails and pop it behind the door with an extension cord.

I'm mostly worried about waterproofing, because that is something i've never done and don't wanna screw up. Being on the DSP means hiring a tradie is out.

So any info on either option or maybe options i hadn't considered would be appreciated.

20230403_125737.jpg

20230403_125746.jpg

20230403_125756.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Laundry reno - How to redesign to accomodate a folding bench?

Hello @DanaS 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's splendid to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your laundry renovation.

Before I make any recommendations, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the folding bench? Can also please provide the dimensions of the bench that would be very helpful in determining if it will fit into the space next to the washer. 

Is your second photo a sliding cabinet? Is it located across the washing machine set?

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DanaS
Getting Established

Hi Eric,

The folding bench might be the wrong word. The bench above the washer that the dryer is sitting on, is the bench in question. It's built in.

I uploaded a pic of the hob and yes the space is wide enough to fit. I think the dryer is 95cm and there's 105cm next to the washer.

Yes the third picture is sliding doors, but i'm thinking of removing the doors themselves since i keep smashing into em with the chair

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DanaS 

Thanks for the clarification, the typical washer size is around 610(w) x 860(h) x 600(d) so it should fit into the space once you remove the cabinet beside the washer. My other suggestion is to use washing machine cabinets to get them off the ground so that it will be more convenient when you reach into the washer and dryer.

I agree with your idea of removing the laundry door and sliding doors to make it easier for you to manoeuvre in that area. I've placed some sample sketches below, please have a look and tell me what you think.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

DanaS
Getting Established

Hey Eric,

Removing the cabinet was an idea but my research so far tells me it'll need to be waterproofed after. Which i know nothing about. Can you give me some insight on that please.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DanaS 

Before you begin your renovation project, I suggest checking the rules and regulations of your local council. Some councils require that a trained and registered waterproofing person apply the waterproofing.

However, if you are going to waterproof your laundry area, I suggest having a look at the Crommelin 1L One Coat Rapid Under-Tile Waterproofing Membrane along with the Bastion 100mm x 10m Bond Breaker Waterproofing Joint Band. It is a membrane you use in corners to prevent them from tearing apart and forming gaps.

Here is a handy Step-by-step guide:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects