Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is there a Y adapter available for 2 washing machine drain hoses?

PatDIY_Dad
Having an Impact

Is there a Y adapter available for 2 washing machine drain hoses?

Hey all

We got a new Bosch washing machine and a tumble dryer

You can connect a drain hose to the dryer so you dont have to empty the condensation collector every few dry cycles

But we only got one spigot for the washer

I was thinking if its possible to get a Y adapater and connect both the washer and the dry drain hose to that. Then connect the Y adapter to the spigot?

The dryer drain hose seems like a smaller one vs the regular size washing machine one

see the photos of the drain hosesPXL_20241017_001750504.MP.jpgPXL_20241017_001723885 (1).jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is there a Y adapter available for 2 drain hoses?

Hi @PatDIY_Dad,

You could potentially cobble something together for two hoses of the same size, though doing so with one hose being smaller would be troublesome. The other issue is that you can have problems where if the output of one hose backs up at the spigot, it will try forcing water back down the other machine's hose. Typically, it is best not to join hoses and have them independently enter the trap.

Although we have traps designed to take the larger hose, which has been around for many years, they are yet to catch up for heat-pump dryers with the smaller hose. The only thing I could suggest would be having the trap swapped out for one with two spigots, like the Holman 50mm S&P Trap Combo Set, and then trying to adapt your smaller hose to suit the larger spigot. I've heard tales of people glueing the smaller hose inside the spigot, but that's never a great solution as it doesn't deal with back pressure well and can be prone to failing. 

A combination of a Toro 19mm x 13mm Barbed Reducing Joiner, Pope 19mm x 7cm Clear Vinyl Tubing Joiner, two Toledo 14-27mm Perforated Clamp Hose Fit and a Toledo 13-25mm Perforated Clamp Hose Fit, should allow you to create an adaptor that converts the smaller rubber end to something that suits a standard sized spigot on a trap. It's a bit of a Frankenstein approach, but until these hoses come pre-installed with rubber ends that suit standard trap spigots, it's probably as good as we can do.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Is there a Y adapter available for 2 drain hoses?

Thanks for the reply Mitchell

Since the post I just ended up getting a P / S trap kit with double spigot

Less mucking around I think 

PatDIY_Dad
Having an Impact

How do I connect this smaller drain hose to the spigot ( off a bosch tumble dryer)

Hey guys

I made a video to help explain and show. Thanks for any help

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LdCeaGEaBcc5RJXp7

Basically asking how do I connect the smaller hose to the spigot securely? INside without the funnel is loose

and with the funnel is also loose ( I dont think a hose clamp would help

Re: How do I connect this smaller drain hose to the spigot ( off a bosch tumble dryer)

Hi @PatDIY_Dad,

As mentioned above, I've heard of people siliconing the hose within the spigot, though I don't find this to be a great solution. It would be best to adapt the rubber fitting to connect physically with the spigot on the trap, and I've provided links to products for this above.

A combination of a Toro 19mm x 13mm Barbed Reducing JoinerPope 19mm x 7cm Clear Vinyl Tubing Joiner, two Toledo 14-27mm Perforated Clamp Hose Fit and a Toledo 13-25mm Perforated Clamp Hose Fit, should allow you to create an adaptor that converts the smaller rubber end to something that suits a standard sized spigot on a trap. It's a bit of a Frankenstein approach, but until these hoses come pre-installed with rubber ends that suit standard trap spigots, it's probably as good as we can do.

There is plenty of discussion on the internet about the funnel not being applicable to Australian connection standards. The issue you must overcome is that the hose isn't designed to connect directly to a trap. I believe they include a U-bend so the hose can be secured to the side of an older-style cabinet trough. Obviously, having it connected directly to the trap is a more aesthetically pleasing method.

Let me know how you go.

Mitchell

Re: How do I connect this smaller drain hose to the spigot ( off a bosch tumble dryer)

Thanks. Man thats a bit crap from Bosch to be honest. Why sell an australian version appliance and not supply the right size hose

Ill try make that adapter

I can see eventually with silicone that it will eventually come off. We have containers in there and take them out and in a bit

Hi @PatDIY_Dad,

I'm currently in contact with Bosch Home to discuss this issue. I'm just awaiting the full installation guidelines, and once I've reviewed them will be able to provide feedback to Bosch on the issue you're experiencing.

I do apologise for this inconvenience.

Mitchell

Thanks but you dont have to go to that much trouble but if they came back with a better solution I am interested

I also actually forgot I had this spare drain hose from our old washer. Its the right size fit to

Would it be easier to connect 1 reducer from the bosch hose to this drain hose and connect it?

PatDIY_Dad_1-1729222104985.png

This question has come up before, so it's no trouble. I'd like to resolve it for our members, @PatDIY_Dad.

Your image didn't come through. If you can try uploading again, I can take a look at the fitting for you.

Mitchell

1000007718.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects