Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is it possible to add another toilet?

JustinM
Finding My Feet

Is it possible to add another toilet?

Hi there,

This is a duplex unit, with the garage, laundry and kitchen sharing a wall with the adjacent property. 
Could a toilet be added in the laundry? Or in the WIR? 

IMG_5424.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is it possible to add another toilet?

Hello @JustinM 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about adding an extra toilet in your home.

From an ease of installation point, I suggest adding the extra toilet in your shower room. Specifically, where the current bath is. The reason for this is that it is right next to the existing toilet which means that there won't be a great deal of digging and pipework laid out. 

I propose doing a bit of research regarding the layout of the plumbing services in your house. This will give you a much better idea of where the toilet drain is located and if it is feasible to run pipe work through your house to the laundry. Just keep in mind that going through your house means that the flooring if tiled will need to be cut.

I also recommend engaging the services of a licensed plumber so that you can get a quote on how much the extra toilet will cost. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @JustinM 

Mmmmm first question is are you on a solid concrete foundation or a timber beamed floor? 

Solid concrete and I would be heading towards @EricL's suggestion. 

Timber floor joists and it still stays open to either side.

I would be contacting a couple of plumbers to get a quote, they would definently be pointing out the easiest way to install a second toilet. The sewage work needs to be done by a plumber anyway.

Dave

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the quick reply. I will take in board your advice.

Hi Dave,

Thanks you for the quick reply. I will check the foundations and update you.

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @JustinM An additional toilet could be added only to the WIR side due to the shared wall and your sewage is on that side. I am guess the unit is rendered brick, in which case all plumping will need to be external. It can exit both from the WIR and existing WC walls, but be concealed underground in-between, unless there is a concrete path. In this case it will need to be cut open to access the sewage. You could build a small cavity wall in the WIR to accomodate a concealed cistern, which would allow the plumbing to exit direct out without the need to cut in to the slab. I don't know the type of plumbing the existing toilet has, but in any case a licensed plumber will be required to do all the work, with exception for the new toilet cavity wall. Though some plumbers to do renovation works.

If you have underfloor access then the Jobe will be much cheaper and easier and you can utilise standard cistern toilets.

Hope this helps. Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-07-18 at 10.20.10 PM.pngLslKNxo.jpg 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects