Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to turn matt floor tiles to glossy finish?

Crofty76
Getting Established

How to turn matt floor tiles to glossy finish?

Doopey me ordered matt tiles for our bathroom floor & I'm looking for the best solution to change the floor to gloss, considering it will be a high traffic area of the home.  Thank you.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Looking for solution to turn matt floor tiles to glossy finish.

Hi @Crofty76,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you join us.

I suppose the best thing you can do, if it is still possible, is to return the matte tiles and replace them with a glossy tile. If possible, contacting the retailer, explaining the issue and attempting to swap them for a more suitable product is probably the best place to start.

If this isn't possible, depending on the tile type you may be able to use a high gloss sealer such as this Miracle High Gloss Finish Sealer from our friends at Beaumont Tiles.

You could also paint the tiles with a high-gloss paint suitable for use on tiles such as Dulux Renovation Range Tiles & Benchtops Gloss.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any ideas, @Jewelleryrescue, @JoeAzza, @TedBear.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Crofty76
Getting Established

Thank you for your reply.  Please tag away.  The tiles are from Bunnings, they are both the black & white, Johnson 200 x 200 elements matt ceramic floor tile. 

I will wait to see if there is any further ideas & go the Dulux option if none.  Thank you again.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Crofty76 ,

I am wondering why you consider matt floor tiles as being unsuitable? They are much better at giving a non-slippery surface in a wet area and don't show all the water drops as much as glossy floor tiles. We purposely chose matt floor and gloss wall tiles in both our wet areas and are happy with the result.

Crofty76
Getting Established

Hi @TedBear 

My daughter! 😆 She has a good eye for design & I let her have creative control, she wanted gloss & believes matt tiles will be hard to clean.

I've never had any experience with matt tiles, but after reading your comment I might wait for the bathroom to be completely finished & give them a run before racing out to get a gloss tile paint.  Thank you. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Crofty76,

Like I said, returning and replacing them with a more suitable tile might be the best option.

I'd be happy to assist with a return and replacement if that was something that is still possible.

Can you advise what your local store is, and I can have someone get in touch?

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

I can assure you that they are just as easy to clean as gloss tiles. I use warm water, a small dash of detergent (about a teaspoon full; too much will make them slippery) and add a little splash of meths occasionally. If you see any streaks, throw down a used towel, put the broom on it and a quick, light wipe over will take care of them.

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Crofty76  I agree with @TedBear  Matt tiles are safer and less resistant to slips, I am sure Bunnings would return them and replace with a less glossy finish, I have semi gloss porcelain tiles in kitchen and laundry, only slightly slippery when wet, you will need to put floor mats on floor to prevent slipping. 
just found this online, it might be helpful information re Matt tiles versus glossy tiles

https://www.hyperiontiles.co.uk/blogs/bathroom-tiles/matt-vs-glossy-tiles-which-are-best-for-your-sh...

Crofty76
Getting Established

@TedBear @JoeAzza I must say I am impressed with the matt tiles; they went down a week ago when I first made the post & they are easy to clean.  The trades have been in & out with mess left & at the end of the day they clean up & this is what I am left with, a very tidy & clean floor.  I will be sticking with the matt tiles.  Thanks Ted & Azza.  😁

450994067_855683555911100_1210853501881843674_n.jpg

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Crofty76 looks good , nice job, I like the style and colour, well done

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects