Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to trim hollow core doors?

DP2
Just Starting Out

How to trim hollow core doors?

IMG_8800.jpgHi,

I just had my bathroom renovated.  The tradesperson cut the bottom of my hollow core door.  I just took it off the hinges to paint the bottom edge and he has cut it off and not re-glued the bottom back on from the discarded piece.  Therefore, the bottom is open

How can I fix this before the moisture gets into it?

Bandicoot
Getting Established

Re: How to trim hollow core doors?

I've fixed this before using a piece of 20x40 DAR pine; but obviously depends on the thickness of the door.  When you've found a piece that fits, just be liberal with the Aquadhere and tap it in; the cardboard will give way sufficiently to get it all the way.  Clamp the join while it sets, sand & paint as needed.

DP2
Just Starting Out

Thank you, will give this a go.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DP2 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about trimming your hollow core door.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Bandicoot. I totally agree with the recommendations mentioned. I only suggest using Selleys Liquid Nails to attach the timber at the bottom and make sure to paint it so that the bottom is properly sealed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Bandicoot 

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and experience regarding the repair of the hollow core door.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Bandicoot
Getting Established

Liquid Nails sticks like the proverbial and probably better than Aquadhere in a moist situation.  I tend not to use it where avoidable because in spite of the claims on the tube, it still strings and runs on as badly as it ever did, and is very messy, requiring mineral turps cleanup.  I'm not a great fan of deceptive product labelling.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects