Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat rust in bathtub rim?

annakelly
Just Starting Out

How to treat rust in bathtub rim?

What will be the best solution to treat the rust that is appearing in the rim of my bath tub.  

Image_004.jpgImage_003.jpgImage_002.jpgImage_001.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: I have rust in the rim of my stand alone bath tub and would like to treat it

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @annakelly. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about treating rust.

Do you know what the bath is made of? If it's rusting, then I'd presume it's metal, but most new baths are fibreglass or formed plastic, so I'd be interested to know what it's made from. I note the big 'ole chip on the front that appears to have gone through all the paint layers to the actual internal material, and that doesn't seem to be rusting. I'm not entirely convinced that's rust, and if it is, it is leaking from somewhere under the rim. The colour of it just doesn't convince me on the rust front, and I'm possibly thinking it's like a failing seal or some type of aged silicone under the tub. 

If it is a fibreglass tub, can you lift it up to see what's generating the rust under the lip? If we can see where this discolouration is coming from it will help us determine a solution to resolve the issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects