Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to space laundry wall cabinets?

Joss2
Just Starting Out

How to space laundry wall cabinets?

My laundry wall is 2900mm long, and 2300mm tall. I want to install some overhead cabinets. I cannot go wall to wall, because there is a window that I don't want to block, at the left side of the wall. I am thinking 2 pairs of cupboards (each pair is 900mm wide) would take up1800mm, and leave me a gap of 1100mm. I could fit a 450mm open shelf in that 1100mm gap, which would shrink my gap down to 650mm. Would it look better if I put the open shelf in between the 2 pairs of cupboards ?

I am wanting to leave 180 or 280 gap above the top of the cupboards, for extra storage or displaying decorative items. The cupboards are 720mm tall. I have a 1000mm to play with before I get close to a power point. The cupboards are 320mm deep, and they will go over a 600mm deep benchtop. I have used tape and boxes to try and figure out what it will look like, and I think the "fit' is okay, BUT I would love some input regarding what will LOOK THE BEST (especially in terms of balance). Sorry for the long story but I am hopeless with photos, and not sure if the picture of a blank wall would be very helpful.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to space laundry wall cabinets?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Joss2. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about positioning wall cabinets.

I think it largely comes down to personal preference, but for me I'd be placing the shelving in the middle. It creates a bit of a feature instead of tacking the shelving on at the end. Check out @diy_hausdesigns amazing Budget laundry makeover to see how impactful shelving in the middle can be. The only thing I could suggest is possibly reducing the cabinets to 600mm and making the shelves larger as that would balance the space better.

I've created a few renderings for you below to hopefully assist in your selection. Also, have a look at this guide on How to plan a laundry renovation and make sure to view our Top 10 most popular laundry projects for inspiration.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Shelf4.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects