Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal between cupboard and trough sink?

triciahales8
Finding My Feet

How to seal between cupboard and trough sink?

9148770A-7882-411E-953D-D50864FCD9ED.jpeg

8461C453-61E5-420A-932E-2C283B973E63.jpeg

2AF7EED2-3B03-45D0-902E-DDA7AE0A2867.jpeg

CD179D27-90E6-404B-A6F5-FB6BF93C019A.jpeg

  

I’ve just used a Bedford flat pack cupboard for next to my laundry sink. I can’t bolt it to the wall or anything but the weight of it will hold it. 
my question is how to fill the gap between the top, front and back of the cupboard to sink. I thought there might be some flexible sealant strip I could use for the top and front but the gap to the wall is 10mm to 16mm as wall is not straight. Photos should explain better. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal between cupboard and trough sink

Hello @triciahales8 

Thanks for sharing your question about your Bedford cupboard. In order to get a secure fix, I suggest using timber moulding to fill up the gap. I propose installing a strip at the lower back as well. This will allow you to drill the cabinet to the wall making it rock steady with no possibility of movement. There are some timber mouldings with a measurement of 18mm, this means that you'll need to plane the surface if you need it to go down to 16mm. There is also the option of joining two 8mm pieces in order for you to get the thickness of 16mm.  

In regards to the laundry tub gap, I suggest using Selleys 475g No More Gaps Interior Multipurpose Gap Filler. Again, I propose putting timber moulding under the laundry tub gap to prevent the gap filler from sagging away when you fill the surface.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to seal between cupboard and trough sink?

Good Afternoon @triciahales8 

For the gap at the rear I would suggest to go for some kind of splashback in line with te sinks. That will fill the gap mostly and then @EricL's suggestion of using no more gaps for any gap that is left ) making sure you have some timber trim mounted underneath at the back so the no more gaps just dosnt keep flowing.

With the gap between the sink and the benchtop and also between the sink and vertical bench I would be tempted to leave it as is. The lip of the sink makes it hard for a flush fit and adding no more gaps is possible but think it looks nicer without it.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to seal between cupboard and trough sink?

Hi @triciahales8 I agree with @Dave-1 and would be inclined to tile the back wall as a splashback. However if your after a more simpler solution, then as @EricL suggested you could fix a timber trim to cover it. The neatest would be a 19mm tri-quad .

For the gap between the bench top and trough I would use a white wet area silicone sealant.

Regards, Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects