Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal a new veneered laminated timber door without painting?

Stevelkt
Growing in Experience

How to seal a new veneered laminated timber door without painting?

I am looking to buy the Hume JST1 Entrance Door 1Lite Clear Glass to replace my external laundry door. I read in one of the discussions that the Johnstone Satin Water Based Clear Interior/Exterior Varnish can be used to seal wood doors without painting. I’m not sure if it is suitable for this particular veneered laminated door. I think we need a polyurethane sealer for veneered wood and I don’t know if the Johnstone product is polyurethane.

If that won’t work, could you please recommend a suitable polyurethane sealer for external veneered laminated doors that doesn’t require painting over. Thank you.

IMG_0587.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal a new veneered laminated timber door without painting.

Hi @Stevelkt,

When it comes to the Hume care and maintenance guides, there is no mention of needing a polyurethane coating for your door. So, you're good to go with an exterior varnish!

Before you fit the door, make sure to seal all six surfaces with an initial coat of varnish. Then, once it's installed, apply a second coat for that extra layer of protection. One excellent option to consider is the Johnstone Satin Water-Based Clear Interior/Exterior Varnish, but it is a Special Order product. You'll find plenty of other suitable alternatives right on the shelves of your local Bunnings. One top-notch choice is the Intergrain 1L UltraClear Satin Exterior Timber Varnish. It's sure to give your door the love and care it deserves.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or need further guidance along the way.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Stevelkt
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the advice, Mitchell.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @Stevelkt, and please reach out again if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects