Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace sliding doors?

creid
Just Starting Out

How to replace sliding doors?

Hi everyone. I'd like to replace the current sliding doors of the laundry that leads out to the patio by enclosing it with a wooden swing door on one side and maybe a floor-to-ceiling window like the ones normally used for front entrances. Is this doable? Are there video tutorials on how to do this? The ultimate purpose of doing this is to install dog access in the door. The original plan didn't have sliding doors so obviously the previous owners installed sliding doors to get maximum natural lighting into the laundry and kitchen area. Thank you for your help. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace sliding doors?

Hello @creid 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about replacing your laundry sliding door.

Before I offer any recommendations, would it be possible for you to post a photo of your laundry door? This will give our members a chance to assess its condition. We can then make recommendations on how to replace it.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
creid
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric. Thanks for replying. I've attached a photo to give you an idea of what I'm working with. Besides needing a doggy door and ideally keeping some of that natural light coming in, the door will probably need to swing outwards - if I were to replace one side of the sliding door with a hinge door. I have absolutely no idea how to approach this 😆

PXL_20230405_221204676.MP.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @creid

Thank you for sharing those photos of your sliding door. Have you considered just installing a pet door rather than replacing the entire assembly? I propose looking at the Hakuna Pets Medium White Super Tough Pet Door. It can be installed on standard timber doors, glass doors and security mesh doors.

This would be a more affordable option with no demolition or re-installation required. All you would need is a glazier to cut an opening in the glass to install the pet door. As for the security door, you’ll need to use an angle grinder with a grinding wheel rated for steel.

However, if you are still keen to replace the sliding door with a solid door, it would be necessary to build a timber frame to cover the large opening. There is also the option of reducing the opening by adding more bricks to the wall so that you can install a regular external door.

Both these suggestions will require a registered builder as the scope of works will be involved and is not something that I would recommend as a first D.I.Y. project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects