Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace old spindle tap?

tony89
Just Starting Out

How to replace old spindle tap?

I plan to change bathroom shower taps due to leakage from shower head. I can succefully remove the tap from spindle.

However, when I try to use tap spanner to remove the spindle from socket, it won't budge at all!!!

Any advice would be appericated

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to replace old spindle tap?

Hi @tony89 

"it won't budge at all!!!"

Irritating isn't it.

Clearly we don't want to apply too much torque to cause damage to the pipework - but at the same time the 'bars' provided with many tap socket kits are far too small in diameter and length.

I suggest soaking with WD 40 and upgrading the bar to say a 10mm steel rod and 250mm long which I'm sure would be available at Bunnings in the steel section.

Good luck.

Please let us know how you get on. 😁

See the difference.See the difference.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tony89

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about replacing your spindle tap.  

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Noyade. Just to add to the suggestions already made, I recommend using a Brasshards 15 x 450mm Galvanised Pipe as a lever over the steel rod to give you more torque when turning the tool. Please note to keep an eye on the spindle housing and make sure that it does not twist when applying force to the tool.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your spindle repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @tony89,

What is the issue with the tap you have?

Does it not turn on or off?

If you're eventually going to replace this valve, I'd probably get a plumber to look at it and make some suggestions as to how it could be removed.

tony89
Just Starting Out

Thx for the advice Noyade.

Tried WD40 and bigger rod during weekend, unfortunately it has little use, spindle still stuck as hell.

Any other advice? Is there any steps I missed to remove the spindle?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tony89

There is the possibility that the spindle has seized inside due to age. There is one more tool you can try on the spindle, I suggest using a Trojan 350mm Pipe Wrench. It should provide you with enough grip to hold onto the head of the spindle. However, before you attempt to use this tool, I propose having a plumber's contact number ready just in case of emergencies. 

If the spindle still does not come out, I recommend calling in a registered plumber as they will have the tools and techniques to handle difficult-to-remove spindles. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your spindle fixed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @tony89, I second EricL's comments, brass can be a terrible metal to deal with, it can shear off with no warning and will strip in the same scenario.

Most plumbers have a socket of the correct size brazed to the end of a pipe and that takes a 3/4" drive ratchet.

If you can't get the thing to loosen, you need a plumber, they may even heat it up with a MAPP burner to make it expand.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects