Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace mixer tap cartridge?

pete65
Just Starting Out

How to replace mixer tap cartridge?

The bathroom basin mixer tap runs very slowly. I thought I might replace the cartridge. I can remove the handle and the keeper rings okay and I thought the cartridge would now just lift out. No so. Seems to be stuck. Any ideas? It appears to be the blue type. Does it unscrew or lift out. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: mixer tap cartridge

Hello @pete65 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your mixer tap cartridge. 

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your disassembled tap? I suspect that it might have a circlip holding the cartridge in place, if not then odds are lime scale deposits have fused to the cartridge making it extremely difficult to remove. I'm afraid the only way to be sure is for us to see the photographs. 

If the cartridge refuses to budge, I propose wiggling it to the left and right and see if you make any progress using that method.  If it still refuses to move it might be time to consider changing the mixer for a new one.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
pete65
Just Starting Out

tap cartridge continued

Thanks Eric for such a prompt reply

photo Attached 

IMG_4553.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: tap cartridge continued

Hello @pete65 

Since there is no circlip visible, odds are the cartridge is stuck and is being held back by either lime scale or the cartridge has disassembled itself and is wedged in the body of the tap. I propose using a multigrip tool on the head of the blue cartridge and see if you can twist/pull/rock it out of position. Once you have the old cartridge out make sure to bring it to the store so that you can compare it to the new cartridge you'll be getting. Please take your time as the cartridge might take a while to pull it out.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

pete65
Just Starting Out

How to find a washer for a tap connector?

For some inexplicable reason I was unable to get new washers for a tap connector at bunnings Cockburn. A pretty basic plumbing need not catered for. Packs of assorted washers yes, but flat rubber 15m washers no.

so if bunnings won’t sell them who does?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: why no washers

Hi @pete65,

I'm sorry we weren't able to find the product you're after.

If you could let me know more about the tap connector and link me to the product or equivalent, I can have a look for replacement washers. There's a few products that could be called a tap connector.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects