Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare bathroom walls for priming and waterproofing?

jessicawinter96
Finding My Feet

How to prepare bathroom walls for priming and waterproofing?

1000020431.jpg

1000020430.jpg

  

1000020425.jpg

1000020424.jpg

  

Hi im renovating my bathroom that was only tiled in shower and around the bathtub.the rest of the walls have a thin layer of wight powedery stuff and was painted. I have chissled the walls and scraped as much paint off as possible,

I'm  wanting to tile the hole bathroom ,

So my question is, is this good enough to prime and waterproof over or dose all the wight stuff need to come off completely  

1000020433.jpg

1000020432.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prepare bathroom walls for priming and waterproofing?

Hello @jessicawinter96 

Thanks for sharing your question about waterproofing your bathroom. I believe you've done a thorough job of preparing your bathroom walls for waterproofing. 

Please keep in mind that some states like New South Wales and Queensland require a licensed professional to do the waterproofing job for safety and compliance. Ideally, they will provide you with a statement of compliance after the work is done. Please check with your local council regarding the rules and regulations regarding waterproofing in your area.

Generally speaking, a multipurpose primer is often used sauch as the Dunlop 4L Multipurpose Primer. Once the primer cures the trades person will then apply the waterproofing over the surface.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How To Waterproof Your Bathroom

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects