Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace floor drain grates?

renegade2k
Getting Established

How to replace floor drain grates?

I have just moved house and the grates on the floor drains in the bathroom are dirty/rusty. They appeared to match the 100mm kinetic floor grates but they are very slightly smaller. I cannot get the kinetic one into the floor and if I take the old one out it has a little wiggle room when placed in the base of the kinetic one. Any idea on alternatives? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How come doesnt my floor grate fit?

Hello @renegade2k 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational; to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your floor grate.

Unfortunately, there is no floor grate top cover standard in effect. Only the bottom part of the waste is standard and that it fits either a 50mm or 40mm plumbing pipe. The top part can be almost anything and this becomes a problem when it comes time to repair or upgrade the drain cover.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the old and new drain cover side by side? This will give our members a better idea of their difference. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
renegade2k
Getting Established

Re: How come doesnt my floor grate fit?

Thanks Eric. I will bring the one currently in the floor into my local Bunnings and see what can be done. Thanks for the info

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects