Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a toilet cistern?

Bungle80
Just Starting Out

How to replace a toilet cistern?

Hi,

I need to replace my Cistern as the internals are really old.

The inlet is on the right as you look at the Cistern.

My question is the pipe that goes into the toilet is this a universal size ( I have included a photo)?

Also will the inlet fitting just be a universal one also?

Finally will the clearance be the same or will I have to cut down the pipe going into the toilet?

Can anyone suggest a product that would suit this toilet.

unnamed (6).jpgunnamed (5).jpgunnamed (4).jpgunnamed (8).jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace a toilet cistern?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Bungle80. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a new cistern.

Since your system isn't close-coupled, almost any generic cistern should work for you. The inlet fitting will indeed be the same, but you will most likely need to cut down the new flush pipe to the correct length. There's a chance you could use the old flush pipe, as it has some adjustability.

Regarding the wall mounts, they will likely be different for your new cistern, so you'll need to fix them to the wall in a new location. This isn't a difficult task with diamond drill bits.

The Estilo White Replacement Cistern With Seat WELS 3 Star 3.9L/min would be a budget-friendly option that includes a new seat. The only thing you might like to avoid is a cistern that is slimmer than the current one, as that will leave the previous mounting locations exposed. If you measure between the current mounting holes, the team in-store can check available units and help you select one that will suit.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects