Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a shower mixer tap?

Diycathy
Just Starting Out

How to replace a shower mixer tap?

Hi there,

I’m wanting to replace my current shower mixer but noted that all mixers come with the brass T fitted.  Can I remove the T and just screw the new mixer onto the existing plumbing? 
Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing a shower mixer tap

Hi @Diycathy 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your shower mixer.

I'm afraid it's not possible, the shower mixers are made from a single brass body. Although parts of it can be screwed off the main centre of it where the hot and cold pipes come together along with the ceramic housing can't be undone. One option is to repair your shower if it is leaking. Another option is to spray paint it to give it a new colour. The third option is to engage the services of a registered plumber and have them replace your old shower mixer.

I suggest having a quick look at one of our featured projects - Spray painted tapware by @lifestylebymari

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Replacing a shower mixer tap

Hello @Diycathy 

And thank you for the tag @EricL 

Regarding the second option @EricL mention about painting the taps I have do it and still love the turn out. 

It's such an easy and quick fix that can make a whole difference in any bathroom. 

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions always happy to help :smile: 

Mariana 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects