Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair tiles on shower hob?

narragirl85
Finding My Feet

How to repair tiles on shower hob?

I've recently purchased a house and I was looking at replacing the shower screen in the main ensuite as the door opening is not in the correct position and has meant that it has allowed water to escape and damage the door architraves. However after closer inspection it looks like the tiles on the shower hob are also going to need either repairing or to be completely removed because it has been installed on the outside edge and it too heavy for it. The house was built in approximately 2012 and is in a rural area near Mudgee.

My question is - from the images attached - would it be a simple exercise in cleaning up the tiles, grout, silicone and reinstalling, or will the whole shower need to be removed and reinstalled (including waterproofing etc) and if a full replacement is needed - would it be better to just rip the whole bathroom out and start again

The house is on steel posts and joists so I don't have to worry about replacing those, maybe just the subfloor but from inspections under the house it doesn't look like there has been any damage. I have included the layout of the current bathroom for reference to help guage if it's worth trying to repair or completely replace.

If repair is possible, the idea would be to install a corner opening shower screen so some water would potentially be directly in/over the path of the repair - would a repair suffice until I can save enough money for a full replacement??

IMG_4646.JPGIMG_4647.JPGIMG_4648.JPGIMG_4649.JPGexisting layout floorplan.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair tiles on shower hob?

Hello @narragirl85 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about repairing the tiles on your shower hob.

I'm afraid the tiles will need to be replaced and a new coating of water proofing will need to be applied. If you look closely at the second and third photo you posted, you'll see that the tiles have come off on their own. Although the hob base itself is still in good condition the tiles have slowly become loose.

Looking at the pictures you posted, it seems like the bathroom is still in good condition except of course the shower hob. I suggest having a look at what kind of shower you'll be getting to replace the old one. Once you have the measurements of the new shower, you'll then be able to find out if it will fit on your old hob. If it will fit, then all that's needed is to remove the old tiles, apply new waterproofing and re-tile the area.

However, if the new shower is too big, it will be necessary to build a new hob. Please note that some states require a registered professional to apply the waterproofing in your shower area. I suggest having a look at your local council's rules and regulations regarding shower renovations.

If you decide to do your own tiling, please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles, and a dust mask when working on your shower tiles.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you tile a wall?

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the info Eric - I guess my next question would be if I only needed to have the hob waterproofed if it can be rebuilt - or would the whole shower section need to be redone?

Is that something I can only ascertain by removing more of the tiles?

The outside of the hob is 915x915 so it can accommodate a standard-size shower screen, the one I had picked out - https://www.elegantshowers.com.au/collections/corner-entry-screen/products/elegant-showers-square-co...

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @narragirl85 

I suggest getting a quote from a professional tiler who also has experience in waterproofing. They should be able to ascertain if the entire area needs to be redone or perhaps just the shower hob. I recommend getting at least three quotes so that you'll have an idea of the going rate in your location.

I propose showing the tiler the new shower that you've chosen. If the tiler is satisfied with the condition and size of the hob, there should be no issue with the shower installation.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects