Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair cracked fiberglass shower base?

sismanis
Just Starting Out

How to repair cracked fiberglass shower base?

is their a repair kit for a  60cm long hairline cracked shower base. Image shows length  and have  included 5 cent coins in photo to show thickness of crack in comparison to coins.  

808706AE-974F-40F8-A7E8-2B87632F40EB.jpeg

fiberglass shower base. 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to repair cracked fiberglass shower base?

Hi @sismanis,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It is wonderful you have decided to join and ask the community about your cracked shower base. Our DIY guru @EricL will be on later this afternoon and will be able to assist you. Does the base bend and flex when you step near it? Or does it stay fairly firm? 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Base is quite firm and solid

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sismanis

Thank you for that extra information about your shower tray. I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to treat a hairline like crack in a shower base? by @kya. In the discussion, I mentioned that repairing the tray would be a short-term effort at best. Due to the material nature of the shower tray, the crack will continue to travel until it reaches the edge of the tray. This will then compromise its' strength and allow even more water to get through.

To temporarily repair the crack, I suggest using Selleys 100g Translucent Ezi Press Roof and Gutter Silicone Sealant. You will have to use a Pro Renovator 38mm Plastic Scraper to create a low-level patch over the hairline crack. I recommend replacing the shower tray as soon as you're able to.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

sismanis
Just Starting Out

Thanks for your comments Eric. Will This translucent Eli press silicone take to fiberglass shower base and is it mould resistant?

Appreciate your further comments/ advice.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sismanis

Yes, it will work on fibreglass and is mould resistant. Please note that the silicone is for temporary repairs only. It's important that the damaged shower tray be replaced as soon as possible.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects