Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a hairline crack in Acrylic shower base?

Cranswick
Cultivating a Following

How to repair a hairline crack in Acrylic shower base?

hi , l have a 20cm hairline crack in my Acrylic shower base , l think it would caused by slight movement or flexing of the base under my weight over the years. Most people l spoke to online said in such a case the crack itself cannot be repaired and the entire base needs to be removed replaced with a new one but one builder said it could perhaps be repaired with epoxy , perhaps he means fibreglass epoxy. What is correct does the shower base need to be removed and replaced or can the crack itself be repaired ?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair a hairline crack in Acrylic shower base?

Hello @Cranswick 

Thanks for sharing your question about the hairline crack in your acrylic shower base. An acrylic shower base is basically an acrylic moulded surface reinforced with fiberglass resin and fibre. Now it may seem like it does not flex, but it does and if a particular area keeps flexing after a certain amount of time it will eventually crack or split. 

Putting in a repair medium will temporarily stop the leak, but due to the flexing surface at some point the adhesive will fail. I recommend measuring your shower tray and see if the ones in the store are compatible. Please don't forget the location of the shower tray waste. I recommend speaking to a professional shower installer. They will be able to quote you for the replacement of the shower tray and  and reassembly of your shower.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects