Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove wall shower tap handle and conical wall flange?

CHECLAHC
Just Starting Out

How to remove wall shower tap handle and conical wall flange?

@MitchellMc,

My shower head is dripping water and I would like to change the old type wall spindle to a ceramic spindle. I did the this kind of replacement to my other wall shower taps. They all work fine. However, this time is different story from the beginning. I remove the hot/cold cover from the handle but the cross handle doesn't budge and can't be removed like others I did before. Also, I use mirror to see the back of the handle and there is no screw space to use the Anti Vandal Spanner. Therefore, I guess the handle is welded with the spindle. Is this assumption correct? Or there is no such product and the handle muse can be removed somehow by some special tool.

Then, if the handles are welded, can I use  the multi-grip pliers  as advised by @MitchellMc to remove the conical wall flange directly? Because, I can't turn the conical flange easily by hand like I did before. It is another pain after the handle. Then my next question is will there be enough space to use the sifter to remove the spindle, just like the 3rd photo? Then afterwards, if the assembly is removed, can they be replaced by a ceramic spindle in this situation?

Your advice is highly appreciated.

Best regards.

1.jpg2.jpg3.PNG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove this Wall Shower Tap Handle and conical wall flange

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @CHECLAHC. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a tap handle.

I suspect the handle is just locked on from corrosion, as you should be able to pull it off easily. Try spritzing some WD40 around the area where the spindle connects to the handle. Wait an hour, and then try pulling it off. Some gentle taps from behind with a hammer covered in a cloth could help dislodge it.

This Haron Tap Handle Puller could also assist if you can't remove the handle by hand.

Undoing the flange could provide access to the spindle nut, but it will be far easier if you can remove the handle.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Yes you are right. It is because corrosion. After applying the WD40, I used a screw drive to jiggle the joint. It finally goes off. Thanks very much for your experience and kind advice. But I still can't remove the conical flange easily by hand. I am going to buy the multi-grip pliers to take it off. Hopefully it won't be a hard job.

Thanks again. All the best. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Be sure to protect the surface of the flange @CHECLAHC, as the pliers will scratch it badly. You could also try a rubber strap wrench, which won't scratch the surface.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects