Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove roots in bathroom floor drain?

kingj
Cultivating a Following

How to remove roots in bathroom floor drain?

Hi

How can I get rid of these roots.This is a floor drain and doesn’t  usually get much water.

now it’s fully blocked!

tried using salt but doesn’t help much!

IMG_2023.jpeg

IMG_2022.jpeg

  

IMG_1906.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Roots in bathroom floor drain

Hi @kingj,

You'll need to contact a plumber and have them come out and use a machine to clear your pipes. They'll be able to remove the roots, which is a temporary solution. Your pipework now has a damaged portion, which allows tree roots access, and they will continue to fill the pipe until it is replaced. Once the pipes are cleared the plumber will be able to send a camera up the pipes to determine where the breech has occurred and what the best course of action is to replace the damaged portion. 

Once the roots are cleared out, you can periodically use Drain Clean 114g Root Control Tablets, which could help inhibit the roots from filling the pipe again. However, it doesn't solve the underlying issue, which is the breach in the pipe. They also won't work for your current situation as the pipe is too heavily blocked. It really needs the powered machine to clear out the lines.

I have a similar issue at my place due to old cracked pipes and trees nearby. I'll typically have a plumber clear them out once a year.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kingj
Cultivating a Following

Mystery solved, drain is not connected to anything !

IMG_2069.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Wow, that's an interesting setup @kingj. I'm surprised the water could drain into the ground and not back up the pipes. Well. now you know! 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects