Workshop
Ask a question

How to remove silicon from tiles?

pc007
Finding My Feet

How to remove silicon from tiles?

IMG_0361.jpeg

Builder installed mirror fell after 2 years and I am trying to install a new mirror now. 

But I am unable to remove existing silicon that was behind the previous mirror. Any ideas to easily remove these?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove exiting silicon from tiles?

Hi @pc007,

Thank you for your question about removing silicone from tiles.

I'd suggest starting by grabbing a 100mm Sharp Edge Paint Scraper

Run the scraper along the tiles at a 45-degree angle to the tile. You'll likely have to use quite a bit of force but stick to it, you should be able to get it off. Make sure to wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt to prevent any potential lacerations.

If you don't have any luck with just the scraper, you could grab some Selleys Silicone Remover

Apply the silicone remover, following all manufacturer's instructions for use and then use your paint scraper to remove the silicone.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Thank you JacobZ. It was easy to remove with scraper. Now I need to install mirror. I’ll follow Bunnings video. If you have any tips, do tell. 😊

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @pc007,

Have a look through How To Install a Bathroom Mirror, this will give you an idea of what you need to do.

Mark your location on the tiles with a spirit level and get some blocks ready to prop up the mirror while the silicone cures.

Use a high quality, neutral cure silicone such as Selleys Translucent Interior Neutral Cure Silicone alongside Mirror Mounting Tape.

Apply the silicone in a zig zag pattern and ensure you put enough that it will compress when the mirror is pressed onto the wall.

There's not much to it but using the right products and being well prepared will ensure the best results.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects