Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove caps on washing machine taps?

MayZ
Finding My Feet

How to remove caps on washing machine taps?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi 

I need help! 
we have just moved into a new established rental property and I’m having trouble trying to take off the caps that is screwed onto the water valves for the washing machine hoses. What tools do I need to undo these, I’ve tried using a shifter and it won’t budge.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: sink basin for washine machine water valves

Hello @MayZ 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about removing the caps on your laundry taps.

Since you've tried to use a shifter and could not get a grip, I propose using Multigrip Pliers. It's serrated clamps and adjustable jaws should allow you to grab onto the galvanized cap and turn it anti-clockwise.

However, should that fail, my only other suggestion is to use a Trojan 300mm Pipe Wrench. This wrench is specifically designed to grip onto galvanized pipework. My best advice is to make sure that the taps are in the off position before you remove the caps.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PlumbMaster-Zee
Building a Reputation

Re: How to remove caps on washing machine taps?

Hi MayZ,

Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you:

Tools Needed: adjustable wrench (shifter), penetrating oil (such as WD-40), pair of pliers, rag or cloth, heat source (hairdryer)

Steps to Remove the Caps:

Turn Off Water Mains: Ensure the main water supply to your house is turned off to prevent any leaks or water damage.

Inspect the Caps: Ensure the caps are indeed threaded and not secured by other means (like a locking mechanism).

Apply Penetrating Oil: Spray penetrating oil around the threads of the caps. Allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes to loosen any corrosion or buildup.

Use an Adjustable Wrench: Ensure the adjustable wrench is set to the correct size to grip the cap securely. Place the wrench around the cap and turn it counterclockwise to loosen. Apply steady pressure.

Use Pliers for Additional Grip: If the adjustable wrench alone doesn’t work, use a pair of pliers to hold the valve while you turn the cap with the wrench. This provides additional grip and stability.

Apply Heat: Use a hairdryer to apply heat around the cap. The heat can expand the metal slightly, making it easier to loosen. Be cautious not to overheat and damage any plastic components.

Protect Surfaces: Place a rag or cloth around the valve to protect it from scratches while using the tools.

Gentle Tapping: If the cap still doesn’t budge, use a small hammer or the back of the pliers to gently tap the cap. This can help break any remaining seal.

General Tips:

Be Patient: Take your time to avoid damaging the valves or caps.
Use Proper Grip: Ensure you have a firm grip on both the cap and the valve to avoid slipping and potential injury.

Consult Professional Help: If the caps are extremely tight and these methods don’t work, consider consulting a professional plumber to avoid damaging the water valves.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, feel free to ask.

Best regards, 

Zee

MayZ
Finding My Feet

Re: sink basin for washine machine water valves

Hi eric

thank you so much. Ended up getting some multi grip pliers which done the job 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects