Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a bathroom mirror and install a new vanity top?

calccom21
Building a Reputation

How to remove a bathroom mirror and install a new vanity top?

IMG20230128091935.jpg

IMG20230128091942.jpg

Hi All expert there,

I'm changing my bathroom top from laminated to stone and changing the basin to caroma ( think ceramic). Question is

1. How do I remove the big mirror in my bathroom? Is it glue to the wall or nail?

2. The current existing top is 35mm and my stonetop is 40mm. Does that mean I need to adjust my mirror higher a bit?

3. The subtracted under the stone, do I need to glue it? If yes what glue should I use?

4. The new basin is ceramic top mount goes on top of the stone. Do I need to put sealant under the basin surrounding before I put the basin down? Or just put it down and apply sealant surrounding the edges? If no sealant under the basin will it chip the stone or the ceramic basin?

IMG20230127160745.jpg

calccom21
Building a Reputation

Re: Bathroom mirrors and basin top

Thanks @MitchellMc .what do they usually use for in between tiles.. it doesn't look like elastic like sealant but Powderly white? Can this be replace with those.basin sealant?

IMG20230415102030.jpg

Hi @calccom21,

It looks like they've tried to cover the gap between the tile and bench with cement-based tile grout. It's the same hard grout used between tiles. This joint is typically done with soft and flexible wet-area silicone. When you install the new bench you can fill this gap with silicone.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
calccom21
Building a Reputation

Hi All,

Just completed my other bathroom... Attached is the photo harder than the initial one

IMG20230416194006.jpg

Also planning to change my kitchen top near future but prefer wooden type material  any idea what type of material is suitable?

Also I'm planning to make a study table and I have a jigsaw and circular saw. Anyone know if it able to cut hardwood?

IMG20230409162128.jpg

It was ozito corded think 400w

And the circular saw is Bosch pks1500 (1500w)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @calccom21 

Thank you for sharing that latest bathroom vanity update. That vanity top looks fantastic and certainly makes the area look brighter.

A corded jigsaw has more power than a cordless one and can cut through hardwood. However, it's important that you get the right type of jigsaw blade for your tool. I suggest visiting your local store and speaking to a helpful tool shop team member and explaining to them what you're after.

In regards to your Bosch PKS1500, it's powerful enough to cut hardwood, just remember to get the right saw blade for your tool.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

calccom21
Building a Reputation

Hi I recently installed this tapware and leave some gap spacer on the holt and cold..however after awhile it seem to drop down and scratching the bottom.. despite me keep using the Allen key to tighten.  Any solution?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove a bathroom mirror and install a new vanity top?

Hi @calccom21,

I'd suggest that what is happening is that your spindles are recessed too far into the sink top. This means the cover flange (the part being scratched) can't fit down far enough onto them. Due to this, the tap handle is sitting on the cover flange and scratching it. In a typical situation, the tap handle can't 'drop down' as it is sitting on the top of the spindle, which governs its height. The grubscrew only locks the handle onto the spindle; even without it, when the handle is pressed down, it shouldn't contact the cover flange.

That's what I would suspect is happening, and I'm not quite sure how you could resolve the situation. One solution, though not a great one, could be to add a nylon washer on top of the cover flange before you install the handle. This might give you the few mm's of clearance that you need. Another option might be to add some self-adhesive felt to the bottom lip of the handle; also not a great solution.

The only way to raise the spindle would be to install spindle extenders. However, you might then run into the issue that the spindle is too proud of the benchtop, and the cover flange won't screw on fully, leaving a gap under them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects