Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a bathroom mirror and install a new vanity top?

calccom21
Building a Reputation

How to remove a bathroom mirror and install a new vanity top?

IMG20230128091935.jpg

IMG20230128091942.jpg

Hi All expert there,

I'm changing my bathroom top from laminated to stone and changing the basin to caroma ( think ceramic). Question is

1. How do I remove the big mirror in my bathroom? Is it glue to the wall or nail?

2. The current existing top is 35mm and my stonetop is 40mm. Does that mean I need to adjust my mirror higher a bit?

3. The subtracted under the stone, do I need to glue it? If yes what glue should I use?

4. The new basin is ceramic top mount goes on top of the stone. Do I need to put sealant under the basin surrounding before I put the basin down? Or just put it down and apply sealant surrounding the edges? If no sealant under the basin will it chip the stone or the ceramic basin?

IMG20230127160745.jpg

calccom21
Building a Reputation

Re: Bathroom mirrors and basin top

IMG20230219170117.jpg

Thanks everyone for the guidance and advises. Attached is the completed task. Feel happy and satisfied.

Great work, @calccom21! You must be pleased with the project as your new vanity top looks amazing.

How'd you go with the installation? Did you run into any difficulties?

Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Congratulations @calccom21.

As Mitch mentioned, it would be great if you could please share any lessons learned along the way. I'm sure other members who are inspired by your handiwork will appreciate it.

Looking forward to also seeing what you tackle next. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have a new project to share. 

Thanks,

Jason

calccom21
Building a Reputation

I do it very slowly as I know my original thickness is 35mm whereas my new top is 40mm. So challenging when tapping the mirror. As I used the masking tape mentioned above..it is either the cardboard was too thick as it keep falling down no matter how many tape I uses.. cutting the old top out is also challenging as I wanna do it careful not to break the mirror.. after removing it, I was looking a solution to see how I can put some support underneath the mirror..so I uses the old top cut to the thickness and put under the mirror. Then another challenges is the hot and cold T pipe.. I need to gentle squeeze into it so to make sure it nicely fit onto the hole...lastly always make sure you put container underneath so it won wet anything if the water does comes out

calccom21
Building a Reputation

IMG20230220133202.jpg

IMG20230220133214.jpg

 btw does anyone know what the hole is for in the hot tap and cold tap? Inside I can see a pin but just not sure what it does to it. Also I can feel that when I turn the cold water the top tap scratches on the bottom tap that keep the valve in bay (see photo 1 it resulted a circa lines of scratches). Any solution?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @calccom21 

Thank you for that extra information about your vanity top installation. I'm sure our members will find it useful. In regard to your tap ware, the hole on the handle is the access hole for the Allen key. You place the Allen key inside to tighten the grub screw so that the handle will stay in place and not get pulled off. 

I also suggest providing a gap between the handle and the base flange. This will prevent the handle from scratching the bottom. I've placed an image below to give you an idea on how it's supposed to be installed. I recommend using a 10C coin as a spacer so that the gap between the hot and cold will be uniform.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric 

calccom21
Building a Reputation

Thanks @EricL  - that is awesome photo. I didn't know it. I have done it so it will leave it scratchless. Btw, unrelated to this project, do we know what can we use to cut colorbond roof? (multitool? and if oscillating is same as multi-tool or an angle grinder tool)?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @calccom21 

It is easier to cut Colourbond with an angle grinder, however you must have a steady hand as any errors in cutting can't be recovered. Using a multitool is possible but only for small precision cuts. There are custom cutting attachments, but if you are cutting only a few times it's better to use a grinder. The last tool which is tin snips is an excellent tool for cutting Colourbond. Among the tree, it's the tin snips that will give you the most accurate cut.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

calccom21
Building a Reputation

Hi all,

I'm going to proceed with second bathroom to remove the vanity top.. just wondering if cordless multitool is good to remove the top on the one circle in red.. the glue that stick on the bottom of the mirror to the vanity top? Previous I uses penknife to cut it.. also on the right side it stick to the tiles that is on the wall..can I use multitool without damaging the tile and the wall/mirror?

IMG_20230414_090508.jpg

IMG20230414090439.jpg

IMG20230414090428.jpg

Hi @calccom21,

I'd suggest that it would be very hard not to cause some collateral damage when using a multitool. This might just be aesthetical damage, but if the blade digs in, it could cause significant damage to a surface. At a minimum, I would expect it to scratch the tiles.

I would always suggest you first start with a snap-off knife. A snap-off knife will effectively cut through any soft silicone that has been used; it'll also do a reasonable job of cutting through harder adhesives. A snap-off knife has a much thinner and sharper blade than a pen knife and will be far easier to fit into the small gaps.

Remember your PPE when working with knives and around the glass, including cut-resistant gloves, safety glasses, a long-sleeved shirt and trousers and enclosed footwear. Also, always cut away from yourself when using blades.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects