Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to rebuild a shower wall?

mcol0508
Getting Established

How to rebuild a shower wall?

I recently had to demolish the shower walls in a my "new" 1970s house and it's 1990's bathroom as water had ingressed behind the grout. 

The original wall was composed of 5mm plasterboard, 6 mm fibro concrete and then tile. When. I demolished the wall I noted that the fibro was sitting on top of the flange of the shower pan, and the tiles were laid onto the fibro within the flange. In the photo you can see one wall still has some plaster up because it wasn't damaged like the rest was.

My understanding for the new wall is that the fibro should be laid within the flange as well as the interior wall, but I'm not sure. 

For my new wall construction should I go with new plasterboard and fibro or should I just go with 9 mm fibro? Also, should I shim out the studs 5 mm so the new fibro sits in the pan rather than on the pan? 

Finally my plan is to use acrylic sheeting for the interior walls stuck to the fibro. How would I tackle the bath enclosure where it shares a wall with the shower?

1000008616.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Rebuilding a Shower Wall

Hello @mcol0508 

Since you've mentioned that you have plans for the future, and this is like a stop gap repair. It would be practical to leave the half wall and re-install everything to the way that it was. There would be less demolition and it would be relatively easier to repair. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: Rebuilding a Shower Wall

Hi @mcol0508 I would remove the small frame separating the shower and bath and replace it with a new one to full height. Then remove the panel on the left shower wall so you now have a clean U-shaped frame. While your at frame stage, nows threw time to buy a new shower head and mixer. Rainhead style heads tend to be more practical than the traditional ones on an arm. I would also relocate the mixer so it's right next to the door so you don't have to reach in. I would also consider installing a niche for your shampoos etc. These days they come ready made in a range of sizes.

The dividing wall can then be lined with either Aquacheck plasterboard or villa board and then tiles directly on to it. I would line the internal shower walls with 6mm villaboard. This should sit on the lip of the shower base.  

There are actually no-laws that state in Australia that requires a qualified waterproofer, though in my opinion there should! But there are guidelines that should be followed, which means you can do it yourself as long as you follow those guidelines to the letter. Bunnings sell all the materials in the first bay at the trade end and have the guidelines on their website. Though more than capable I have always used a qualified waterproofer that can provide certification on completion for any future insurance claims. many tilers offer this service.

Once waterproofed the walls can be tiled. I would then get a new swing glass door installed thats been made to measure. They aren't that expensive if you shop around and far more easier than trying to make an old one fit. 

Once fitted the entire shower can be caulked and your all done.

Hope that helps. Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects