Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to re-tile a bathroom floor?

AnnaH1
Just Starting Out

How to re-tile a bathroom floor?

Hello,

I'm trying to work out the easiest way to do a budget makeover of my bathroom.

I'd like to update the floor tiles, and I've heard about tiling over tiles - could that work?

If so, I'm wondering if the floor wastes can be raised to match the new floor height?

If tiling over tile is not recommended, and I need to remove the existing tiles, will I need to redo the screeding?  

Thanks

floor tile photo.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to re-tile a bathroom floor?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AnnaH1. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about tiling over tiles.

Updating your bathroom floor tiles is a great way to give your space a fresh look on a budget, and tiling over existing tiles can be a good option if done correctly. It can save you the hassle of removing the old tiles, but you'll need to make sure the existing tiles are in good condition. They should be securely bonded, level, and free from any cracks. If that's the case, you can tile directly over them. For this, I’d recommend using Davco 20kg SMP Evo Tile Adhesive mixed with a diluted Davco Davelastic solution. This combination improves adhesion and flexibility, ensuring your new tiles stay firmly in place.

When tiling over tiles, one thing to keep in mind is the change in floor height. You’ll potentially need to raise doors and the floor waste to match the new height, which is important to maintain proper drainage and avoid issues down the track. It is worth consulting a plumber to help adjust the height.

Removing the existing tiles would be the best option if tiling over tiles isn't recommended due to uneven or damaged surfaces. After tile removal, you'll need to assess the screed underneath. If the screed remains intact and in good condition, you may not need to redo it. However, re-screeding will likely be necessary to ensure a smooth and level surface for the new tiles if it's damaged during tile removal. Also, you'd need to re-instate any waterproofing that will likely be damaged in the tile removal process.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to re-tile a bathroom floor?

Thanks Mitchell!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects