Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to patch and paint walls?

SarahK1996
Building a Reputation

How to patch and paint walls?

Hey brains trust!

I am helping my partner fix a few things around his home. Wanting recommendations on the best way to patch and paint this ensuite wall and door frame? It had a towel rack attached and hardware for the sliding door which I just removed, but want to make sure I patch and paint as efficiently as possible and do it right as it looks like it was put up terribly to start with! The wall anchors won’t come out, so what’s the best way to flatten them before I patch? Do I just sand them?

I have a Stanley knife, spakfilla, sandpaper and the correct paint ready to go! Let me know your thoughts!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to patch and paint walls

Hi @SarahK1996,

When it comes to patching the wall, you’ll want to tackle those wall anchors first, as removing them will make your job smoother and help achieve a more professional finish.

For the plastic wall anchors, drilling them out is the most efficient method. Start with a drill bit slightly smaller than the anchor to avoid damaging the surrounding wall. Once you’ve drilled into them, you can usually use needle-nose pliers to grip and pull out any leftover pieces. If any parts of the anchor are still stuck, don’t worry—you can cut them flush with the wall using your Stanley knife. Then, once the anchors are either fully removed or cut back, sand the surface smooth to remove any bumps or debris before patching.

The metal anchors are typically more challenging. Using a large Phillips head screwdriver, try to unscrew the metal anchors. If they’re too tight (they might be, as they look like they've been glued in), grab a pair of multi-grip pliers, clamp them onto the screwdriver handle, and use the extra leverage to twist the anchor out. Make sure to press the screwdriver firmly into the anchor while turning so it doesn’t slip.

For the actual patching, apply your spakfilla generously over the holes, smoothing it out with a spatula or putty knife. Allow it to dry thoroughly, and then sand it back again to create a perfectly flat surface, blending it into the surrounding wall.

When it comes to painting, make sure the area is clean and dust-free before applying any undercoat. Use a small brush or roller for better control over the patched area. Feather the edges of the undercoat so it blends seamlessly with the rest of the wall, and once dry, apply your wall paint. Even when using the correct paint you can still have inconsistencies, so it might be best to paint the whole wall.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects